Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Changed rear wheel bearings. Still hums.

I finally got my car back together after doing the R rear wheel bearings.

Driving down the road…….Still humms.

Turn hard or bank Right…..No humm.

Could the front bearings be faking me out? It sounds as though it is coming from the rear but now I am thinking maybe the front? Really hard to tell. It is definitely the passenger side though.

Help….help….help…….
Old 06-04-2004, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Now that you've done a good job on the rears it's time to do the fronts!

Is there any play in the rear wheels?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Don't forget to replace the brake rotors and pads! It seems that if you've driven too long with a bad wheel bearing it can have some ill wear-effects on your pads and rotors

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-05-2004, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pads and rotors fine.

There seems to be no play at all in the right rear. I did not change the driver rear.

Any chance it only SOUNDS like the passenger side?

CV's won't humm right?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This may not be the fool-proof test, but I would put the rear on jack stands, put it in gear, and listen to noises at various speeds.
It's not the altimate test because the loads on the components are different than while driving, but maybe you'd hear the noise an be able to pick the source.
P.s. be extra careful with loose items, etc...
Old 06-07-2004, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a similar 'humming' on the rear side of my Audi A6. I thought.... Aaggh... bearings..... it turned out to be bad tire wear. The tire where Pirrelli P6000's and still ample tread, but while fillting new fronts, the dealer pointed out the bad wear, so I replace all four and bingo...... smooth and quiet.
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 06-08-2004, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good guess.

I changed out the tires though.

Went from very worn on cookies to almost new on boxters. That is when my "tire" humm became a bearing Humm so I thought.

Could the alignment of the rear wheel be causing the humm?

Forgive my suspension ignorance. Can you even adjust caster/camber etc on the rears?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Have to check the wheel bearings on both sides.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thats what I hear.

Everytime I think about jacking the back and running the car I get nightmares of 'ferris buelers day off'...

It could still be the drivers side even though the humm stops when banking right?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Personally I would jack up the back and take it all apart. You don't have to remove the seals to figure out a bad bearing. Even if you find something that may be the problem don't stop taking the axles apart. Take a hard look at the CV's and the inner race on the outer roller bearing.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think I may go with that.

R&R or the CV's doesn't seem to be particularly difficult so I may just do that. Remove both clean inspect replace where needed and repack.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Update....

Socal wins..

Humm stopped....started grinding occasionally..

Changed R front bearings...thinking it was them...still grinding

Repacked/inspected L front.....still grinding..

The only place it sounded like it wasn't coming from was the DRIVERS REAR.

Just changed my drivers rear wheel bearings..

The inner bearings came out in pieces. I was very lucky to not have any scoring or damage.....the races were all intact....

MORAL OF THE POST......

It is very difficult if not impossible to tell by sound when the rear bearings are going, which side it is....

HHmmmm...that must be why it is suggested to change them in pairs....hhmmmm...when will I ever learn.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

BTW- $250 parts +/- to get rid of a hummm..

Should have just turned up my radio.

j/k
Old 10-21-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Update....

Socal wins..

Humm stopped....started grinding occasionally..

Changed R front bearings...thinking it was them...still grinding

Repacked/inspected L front.....still grinding..

The only place it sounded like it wasn't coming from was the DRIVERS REAR.

Just changed my drivers rear wheel bearings..

The inner bearings came out in pieces. I was very lucky to not have any scoring or damage.....the races were all intact....

MORAL OF THE POST......

It is very difficult if not impossible to tell by sound when the rear bearings are going, which side it is....

HHmmmm...that must be why it is suggested to change them in pairs....hhmmmm...when will I ever learn.

Interesting- Being trying to work out where the hum is coming from on my daughters Nissan. Also thought it was passenger side but could be any of the 4 wheels then
Old 10-22-2004, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Every person that road in the car thought it was the front passenger.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
It's funny how the sounds echo and such, no?

I changed all 4 sets of bearings, and after 3-4 weeks, the hum returned, sounded exactly like rears. After weeks of dreading the work required to re-do them, I was working on the front wheels one day, and noticed that my front bearings had broken in a bit, and needed adjustment.
Nice and quiet now...

Buy my parts!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I don't know if it would be the same in all cars.

I have been in other vehicals where the bad bearing was obvious from the noise.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Can wheel bearings that are wearing/worn cause more damage?

Will I get better gas mileage with new bearings? :lol:
Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

They can certainly cause more damage but they have to get pretty bad...which mine were.

The races (between the bearings and metal surfaces) can save scoring the main components.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: