Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Burn the fire.

Garage
Unhappy All Porsche clutches go to heaven...

Sad to say, I think mine's taking a turn for the worst. Dad reccommends i adjust my clutch cable, but it sure doesnt seem like that's the culprit. After a spirited drive from home to palm springs for the local PCA breakfast (65 miles out) and back, the car does EXTREMELY well. Doesn't overheat, no starting probs... Then i'm on a local road home... Get like 100 yards from the gas-station i intend to use and .. what's this?! my clutch pedal has incredible play!!! Goes about of the way to the floor before disengaging. No burning rubber smell (yet) but starting from first gives horrible horrible shudder, RPMs go to about 2k before the car moves, shifting from 1st to 2nd No prob, 2nd to 3rd no prob, 3rd to 4th no prob. Just starting off in 1st gear and using Reverse give horrible shudder and a slight rubber-burning smell...

First before a clutch-replacement is proposed, how do i adjust the clutch cable on my '78 924?

Second... How much am i looking at spending on a clutch job? How much time do i have before its unusable? If i can make it to next weekend i can arrange funds maybe for a spring-center clutch and TO bearing.

Third... Suggested plan of action?

Thanks in advance. Car's in the driveway, made it home in one piece.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-05-2004, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Adjusting the clutch cable may get you a few extra miles .... it did for me. There is a little star wheel that needs to be turned.........as I recall its on the firewall.

The clutches on these are cheap.

I remember paying ~200 bucks for disc/throwout bearing/pilot bearing and pressure plate............ well that was a lot of years ago......... WOW... 18 years ago.... ok ...the prices may have gone up.

P.S ........and so easy to change compared to a Turbo............ the good old days.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-05-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
least common denominator

Sorry to hear that Brando,
Hey were we talking about you being interested in buying my car?
But then I saw you got your 924 running and talking about picking up a 931 project so I though you lost interest.

Did you ever call that shop with the 931? I have no idea what the condition of the car was, it was under a cover when i saw it.

Anyway i'm in no big rush to sell... except there is this sweet 944S2 in the paper...

Old 06-05-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I'm definitely still interested scott. Never got the number for that shop with the 931... Just strapped for cash at the moment... (Will be until end of summer).

Old 06-05-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Alright, almost the 6th of the month... if i can drudge it out until the 1st of july i can afford a $300 clutch kit from Mid America Motorworks (AKA Tweeks). It says "Sachs Super Clutch kit", is this a spring-centered clutch? $300 for a whole kit aint a bad deal. I may also be able to talk to my mechanic to see if he'll help me do the install on a weekend or something since i dont have all the tools at home. I really, really, really, REALLY hope my clutch is OK.

****ING rubber-center... I might as well go for a lightened flywheel while im in there, yes?

Old 06-05-2004, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Bit of an update. Inspection of my bellhousing showed no silicone fluid anywhere, it appears that my clutch is A-1-SUPARS condition at the moment.

I did, however, check my clutch cable out. It's already adjusted as far as it can go on the engine compartment side, after lunch i'll be seeing about adjusting it on the footwell/firewall inside to see if i can lose all the play. Also, new clutch cable on the immediate buy list. Does this sound right?

Old 06-06-2004, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The cutch cross shaft fingers are breaking.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I don't get it... Where/what would that be? Is it something i can visibly see in the cab? Is it on the clutch/bellhousing itself?

Old 06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The fingers that operate the TO bearing. These are or have bent/broke.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-06-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
In conjunction with what you mentioned, I believe my Flywheel Pilot Bearing took a crap. When following the procedure to adjust clutch pedal, two small roller-like bearings fell out from the clutch/flywheel area. I didnt take a picture (they dissappeared now) but they look like the small bearings shown here:

[img]http://assets.************************/assets/product/102494/102494_200_1.jpg[/img]

If i replace this, what else is necessary? Also it says i should replace this with every clutch change... What am i looking at doing here?

Old 06-06-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You have to pull the bearing out of the flywheel - it is usually easier to pull the flywheel off and then mess with the bearing.

If you are throwing rollers from your pilot bearing, use care when drivingyou are gonna get really sloppy here soon.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Thanks AFJuvat. I will take plenty care. Luckily these things bearings aren't too costly...

Apprecieate all the info, thanks again guys

Last edited by Brando; 06-06-2004 at 08:48 PM..
Old 06-06-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
easier way to get it out: Take a longish bolt (I like using cheesheads or allens, but any will do) and clamp a pair of vise grips on the threaded end. Hook lip of non threaded end of bolt on the inside of bearing. tap it with a hammer. tap once, move the bolt around in the inner circle of the bearing so that it drives out evenly.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I don't mean easier. I mean alternative. Juvy is a professional mechanic so treat his advise as gold. Gold plated with platinum.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I can do this with the flywheel still on the engne? I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine out as much as possible... It'll be a project i do this weekend, yes... But i only have one floorjack and that'll be used to move the trans back far enough to disconnect the bellhousing to get to the flywheel and such...

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
easier way to get it out: Take a longish bolt (I like using cheesheads or allens, but any will do) and clamp a pair of vise grips on the threaded end. Hook lip of non threaded end of bolt on the inside of bearing. tap it with a hammer. tap once, move the bolt around in the inner circle of the bearing so that it drives out evenly.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: