Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

front wheel inner bearings "?"

i know the wheel bearing subject has been pounded a few times as i searched(3-pages deep), but the searching didnt answer one question i had in mind in reguards to the inner wheel bearings.

with the hub off the spindle and the inner bearing still in the hub, How much "FREE-PLAY" (in and out motion and twisting actoin like the CV joints) is there suppose to be?

reason for asking is becuase i can move mine in/out and around about a 1/2 inch from the inner bearing seal , this doesnt sound normal... shouldnt they be seated FIRMER in the hub and unable to move around like the outer bearings?

im in the process of doing a bearing replacement, dont have the new bearings to check to see if they do the same thing. nor do i have the inner bearings out so i cant check to see how bad they are... so i thought i'd ask the pro's on this one... BTW both inner bearings have this free-play so i have nothing to go on, and the left one seams to have more of a swivle action than the right.

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-06-2004, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The best way for this is:

1> replace all bearings
2> follow instructions as to grease packing/lubrication/installation and toghtening up procedure
3> with wheel on, hole at 6oclock and quartertothree postions and rock it, no noticeable play should be apparent

4> check again after 250 miles or a week

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 06-07-2004, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From what I remember, the outer races of both inner and outer front bearing were seated very tight in the hub, and I used a modified gear puller to take them out.
The bearing well in the hub may be worn out if I understand your question correctly. If this is the case, the best solution is to get a new hub (from a junk yard would probably do).
An alternative (cheap) would be a 'sleeve retainer' compound from a local parts store. I used it successfully on the rear-wheel bearing (checked it recently, i.e. 1/2 year later, and it still holds), but it may be very hard to remove later if you need to.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ok i got the inner bearing out and YUP its hashed. but the hub has no indication of wear, or that i can see after cleaning it up.

is there a way to check the hub for wear? Inside Diameter mic'ing? if so anyone have measurements to go by?

also if all else fails, would a hub from an 86' 944 work as a replacement?

thanks for your help.

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
83 through 86 hubs work for sure. Don't know about later. there is a good chance that the inner bearnings might have been replaced with the wrong size at one time.

See if a new bearing outer race fits poorly.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

sweet... cuase my parts car 86' 944 has "good" hubs/bearings. as in good i mean looks hella lots better than the ones i got right now, so ill use them for the mean time, after i repack the bearings.

for experimentation purposses ill get some new inner bearings to check fitment on the 85/1 hubs...

thanks for the help guys

03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

87 and up, the hub is slightly larger in diameter, and the bearings themselves are slightly larger, too (know this because i thought i had an 87 model when i did my brakes, and i sold myself the wrong bearings - used to work at O'Reilly's but still look up my own parts).
You need the following sets:
front inner bearing set - A6 (BCA bearing and race) about $7.50
front outer bearing set - A2 (BCA bearing and race) about $6.29
front wheel seal - National 1012N about $5.00

dont forget to pack the bearings with grease. Your local parts house should be able to either use those part numbers or cross-reference them.
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to use the inner races from the replacement hubs.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

should this cover everything then? didnt see any races listed in pelicans cattalog so, or do these bearings come with races?

2 of K-059-065-00
Front Outer Wheel Bearing, 911 (1965-89), 914-6, 924S All, 944/944 Turbo thru 86

2 of K-059-098-00
Front Wheel Bearing, Inner, 924S All, 944/944 Turbo thru 86, 911/912 (1965-89), 914-6

2 of 477-405-641
Front Wheel Seal, (sold per each, 2 required per vehicle), 356C/356SC (1964-65), 911 (1965-89),912, 912E, 914-6, 924S/944/968 All, 928 all

2 of 113-501-277A
Rear Wheel Bearing, 944 thru 1/85, Outer

2 of 113-501-283
Rear Wheel Bearing, 944 thru 1/85, Inner

2 of 113-501-291B
O-Ring for Rear Wheel Bearing, 944 thru 1/85, Inner

4 of 113-501-315H
Rear Wheel Seal, 944 thru 1/85, Inner

03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-12-2004, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Oh dear. I just changed my front rotors today, and I noticed this huge amount of free play in the inner bearing as well. I presumed it was supposed to be like that, since the outer bearings were still in great shape, and both sides were about the same.

Buy my parts!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: