Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
Question Advice on taking drivers seat apart please

My drivers side seat has a tear in it along the stitching on the seat cushion. I would like to take the seat out and take it apart to restitch it from the inside. Has anyone ever had the seat apart? What is involved in removing the seat cover? (which looks to be vinyl. I thought it was leather) Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Speedy

No pics cause my camera is in the shop
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

first, find a local auto trim shop or check "pepboys" or "napa" and find some "hog Rings" they are used to hold the cover on, it is easier to cut the old off. you will need about 20-25 of them. thel look like wire "c" clips with a nail pint on each end.

1. remove seat from car, allen head bolt at each corner of seat trac. Unplug seatbelt sensor, disconnect power seat at block under seat if equipt.

2. remove upper 1/2 of the seat, makes the job easier not having the whole seat to play with. ..remove rear plastic hinge covers, Mark where the upper release cable cam is placed on its sproket, remove "c" clip and remove cable, Reinstall clip and sprocket so you remember where it was...remove the 2 15mm bolts on each hinge,..remove upper seat half.

3. Turn the lower 1/2 over and you will see across the back and aling the side the cover is held down at aprox 3" spacing with metal wire rings, these are the "hog' rings, take a sharp pair of cutters and cut the rings around all 4 sides, With a power seat you may have to move some of the mechanism to gain further access.

4. once you have the sides loose ther may be clips or rings across the center holding it down, check before pulling to hard.

5. reinstallation is of coars the reverse of the removal, usally i start with the front. work side to side front the front to the rear stretching and installing the new hog rings and do the rear last to pull it all tight. The hog rings are just pinched closed with pliers, there is a special tool but its not realy needed.
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 06-07-2004, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Re: Re: Advice on taking drivers seat apart please

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Having the belts done?
Do they make a Kriket to tension the socks inside my camera?

Hey thanks s928s for the tips. I will get started. It is suppose to rain for the next 5 days so it will be a good time to get it done.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 06-07-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s928s View Post
2. remove upper 1/2 of the seat, makes the job easier not having the whole seat to play with. ..remove rear plastic hinge covers, Mark where the upper release cable cam is placed on its sproket, remove "c" clip and remove cable, Reinstall clip and sprocket so you remember where it was...remove the 2 15mm bolts on each hinge,..remove upper seat half.
I have a 1984, 944 with standard seats. I found a identical "passenger" seat in a junk yard, in excellent condition. Since my seats have the "Porsche Script" fabric, which is almost impossible to buy, I want to swap out the upper portion of the seat cover to my drivers seat. Now I realize the handle to fold the seat forward is on the opposite side, so I want to remove the seat cover, remove the stitching, that holds various panels to together and take it to my upholster who will then sew in the donor panel! phew....................

Question!!!!!!!

Okay, this thread is about 10 years old, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around how to get the knob off that allows you adjust the seat back. I don't want to break it!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
IIRC you have to pry off the "cap" of the adjusting wheel and there is a bolt under there.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The cap over the knob is usually on there very tight. Use one flat blade screw driver at one of the notches at the inner rim of the knob and pry up on the cap. Use another screwdriver at a different notch and work the cap off. You may have to pry pretty hard. I've taken off about 12 of these and haven't broken one yet. Once you get the cap off, take a pair of needlenose pliers and twist counter clockwise on the cog in the center, while twisting the knob with your hand clockwise and it should break loose.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: