Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
cone filter &air box

When I got my 1986 944 it had a K&N cone filter. No airbox, also no bottom plate covering engine. I am wondering what difference the lack of a bottom plate would make in providing cooler air to the cone. I have since picked up an airbox on ebay, and am not sure if I am going back to stock - or modify the airbox to fit the cone setup. Also, not sure where to look for a replacement bottom plate. Car is stock except for cone and throttle cam (I put that on).

86 944 na - 130K - little paint and i'm good to go
88 XJ6 - 180K runs great - bad case of body rot
84 BMW 533i - 200k completely mechanically refreshed
Old 06-07-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
the plates are pretty rare to find. If you do come across one, spend the cash and get it. Helps when offroading, keeping stuff out of the engine compartment

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-07-2004, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you're worried about getting junk in the engine, ditch the dunce hat filter and put the stock air box back on. This has been debated ad nauseum on this board and others and the conclusion is virtually always the same: cone filters don't do a damn thing for you (the biggest restriction in the intake system is the AFM, not the filter) and likely will only harm your car since they allow more particulate matter to pass through them. You've been warned.

When your car dies from poor compression due to scored cylinder bores, I get dibs on your parts.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-08-2004, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: