Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

running rich

I think my '86 N/A is running rich is there any fuel mix. adjustment I can tweek a little ? it may just be burning a little oil although it does'nt smoke.I changed the plugs and the were all a little wet and black (bosch platinum). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks , cj44
Old 06-07-2004, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Most "adjustments" are pretty much set in stone. You replace sensors that are out of spec. Rotor and dist cap that are worn; plug wires that arc to the engine; vacuum lines and intake boots that are cracked and leaking; fuel pressure regulators that are out of adjustment.

You could mess with the spring tension in the air flow sensor. Tighter is less fuel. Take off the plastic cover and you will see a large plastic wheel with a spring detent. However this is NOT recommended.

Check out www.frwilk.com
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 06-07-2004 at 07:35 PM..
Old 06-07-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

running rich

Thanks for the advice .I actually have changed all those parts recently plugs,wires,cap & rotor but not the sensors maybe that is where the prob. lies.
Thanks again , cj44
Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

I would look at your O2 sensor.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sensors critical to the fuel-air ratio are the enging temp, air temp, air flow sensor and speed reference sensor and as just mentioned the O2 sensor.

The fuel pressure regulator and dampener can cause a rich condition depending on the failure mode.

Injectors can leak past the pintal seal if these are really crudded up. In some cases the filter screen is missing in the injector inlet letting large particals pass.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

running rich

Thanks guys I will check those things. But on the o2 sensor I have a chip which I was told would require disconecting the o2 .
Old 06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There is your problem. Your computer CANNOT control air/fuel ratio without the O2 sensor. It monitors the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and turns it into a voltage reading that the computer measures and then adjusts injector pulse length and ignition timing accordingly.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Can't help you if you have "chip'd" your DME. Call the chip programmer and ask them.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

actually I bought it with the chip Supposedly in it I have never checked to see . But I have checked the o2 sensor and the wires are cut . A while back I posted a thread about the o2 sensor wires being cut and got a reply that some chips don't need the o2. There for I assumed that that was why my wires were cut.

Last edited by cj44; 06-09-2004 at 09:16 PM..
Old 06-09-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: