Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question just a wonderin...

just wonderin, do you guys have to depress your clutch to start your car? i dont in mine and the only other car that was stick that i didnt have to had remote start so it was bypassed. just wonderin if these cars were special or my car is just wierd...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I dont get it :|

To start my car..put the car out of gear...start it up..

I know on some newer..if not ALL newer 5 speed cars..you have to push the clutch in..as well as put it in neutral to start it up..
Old 06-09-2004, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't have to, but I do by habit..... Always clutch in... takes a load off the motor when starting.. also.... imagine forgetting its is gear and jumping your baby into the front wall or car in the parking lot....

You'll never forgive yourself.
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 06-09-2004, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I sometimes push it in, usually only if I have it in gear.

I'm not aware of any car that requires you to be in neutral to engage the starter, but many require the clutch to be depressed.
Ahmet
Old 06-09-2004, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I don't have to push my clutch in to start the car.

I think that is a safety feature on newer cars.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 06-09-2004, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
hmmm didnt know it took a load off the engine. but all the car I have driven that are stick you have to have the clutch in.

oh and funny story....

on my old civic i had remote start and it was a 5spd, i had it washed one day when i worked at a dealership. and that night i felt like having my ac on when i got in the car so i hit the remote start... well the guy who brought it back from being washed had put it in gear and didnt put the ebrake up.... well the car took off when i hit the remote start button... took off head first into a brand new subaru.... yeah i was mad that night...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

I think this is why they have 5spd specific remote starters. Imagine if it took off and hit a kid and not a Subaru.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

it did hit a kid... me trying to stop it... but it didnt hurt at all. fiber glass coming at you at 10mph isnt very scary.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
What the hell do you need remote start for? Unless maybe you're being chased by a gun-toting villain...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I always push the clutch in when starting.

Learned the hard way . one time I went through the garage door about half way up the hood of a old BMW.

Not a good feeling.
ALWAY puch the clutch in when starting.

Last edited by mambodave; 06-10-2004 at 06:13 AM..
Old 06-09-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I remember a guy telling me tha my car must be a true European car (meaning it was brought over here) bcz ALL cars sold in America after 1985 had the safety feature where you must depress the clutch to start the car.

I told him my fathers 328 Ferrari was the same way....but he just didn't believe me....
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 06-09-2004, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Chukkles..... all round......

Starting Rule 1 : Push the clutch......
Starting Rule 2 : Push the clutch......
Starting Rule 3 : Push the clutch......

See scheistermeiste
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
hmmm didnt know it took a load off the engine. but all the car I have driven that are stick you have to have the clutch in.
Yeah.... by pushing the clutch in, you disconnect the gear box from the Engine. Although the box is in neutral, the added weight of turing the shaft in the box, plus in the case of 944's the whole drive shaft........ no connect, no extra weight to turn....
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-09-2004, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: