Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

On the subject of 16v timing belts...

Ok, we're all agreed that the t-belt needs to be watched very closely... so is there any reason why no one has developed a "reinforced" belt, with some sort of fibrous internal mesh (or whatever) to lend some added strength to that rubber band? Or is there one out there and I'm just not aware of it (very possible)?

Seems that might be a helpful thing to have for those of us with 16v motors...

Lynn

My other car is ... oh wait, I don't have another car.

Chicks dig Messerschmitts.
http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/pshop/ge6sm.jpg
Old 06-09-2004, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They are fiber reinforced. When I did mine, I went and bought Gates belts - I sold them for 3 years and the only time I had one come back was because of mis-use or incorrect applications. Now there agg belts are not the greatest, but we arent using them!
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-09-2004, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
And this is why all 944 owners wish they had a timing chain

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
He does have a timing chain. Change the belts every 30,000 or less, the chain tensioner pad every 60,000 or less an there usually is no problems with them.

Oh yes, never trust what a PO says about the belts and chain tensioner unless they have absolute proof. Then still change them.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jetmax Send a message via Yahoo to jetmax
If only someone made a cam chain set up that replaced the belt, and cams that were connected by sprockets instead of a chain and padtensioner like them there Benzezzzzz.

I even remember the 380sl benz that had a problem with the timing chain stretching so they did a recal for a twin chain conversion.

Things that make you go HMMMMMM!

John
90 944s2 cab
196k miles
Old 06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Close up of my Belt...... It seems it's Steal fiber re-enforced...... But belt snapping is not the major couse of failure.. its those damn teeth..... based on what I've read... luckily no first hand experience ...

Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 06-11-2004, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm off the hook.....

The Benz' you referred to do have two row chains, and tensioners too. Oil pressure fed ones. They age, and sag, and the chain jumps time, and yes, crash valves. The single row chains were not strong enough to pull the valve train in the V-8's.

The 944 16v engines use the same rubber belts to turn one cam. The other cams are connected to the first cam by chains inside the engine.

Like I said, I really liked the performance numbers and the look of the 3 litre S engine. Then I looked under the cam cover and saw how it all worked. I realized I wasn't going away from the rubber belt cam drive in an interference engine, I was compounding the problem, and walked away from the car.

Last edited by singpilot; 06-11-2004 at 12:07 PM..
Old 06-11-2004, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

The things about timing belts that no-one realises:

They are a cheaper and easier way to add overhead cams to an engine because the engineers to not have to devise an oiling system.

They are quieter than timing chains (in the early 1980's when Porsche developed the original 944/924S/968 engine they were _vastly_ quieter than chains).

They transmit less vibration into the valvetrain than chains and far less than gears.

While people seem to complain about the timing belt on these cars a lot, it's not significantly more expensive to replace the timing belt on my '87 924S than it was to replace the timing belt on my '88 Honda. Yes, the Honda's belt was spec-ed for 60,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles, but the Honda also has a less aggressive cam profile and therefore puts less strain on the belt.

Like anything else, take care of it and you'll be fine. I understand the worry about the belts, but these cars are no worse than any other interferance engine that uses a timing belt.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-11-2004, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The 'S' belt is steel reinforced???
Old 06-11-2004, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
s= sock!!!!
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

it isn't what the belt is reinforced with. Typically that isn't the problem, the teeth actually shear, get stripped off the belt. I found a car where the PO didn't change the belts and the teeth/cogs where stripped from the belt, the engine stopped quick, Still haven't thken the head off to determine the full extent of the damage.

JJ
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
If it's an 8 valve most likely just the exhausts and some of the intakes are bent. Seldom do you see seat and head damage.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: