Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What tires should i put on my new rims?

I just bought these rims

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2481056543&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:MT:6

They are 15x8 and i want to run 245-50's on them all the way around. Can i do this without them rubbing? If they will rub can i get spacers to make them not rub? If i can't do this, what would be the best set up for my rims and 944? Right now i have 215's on cookie cutters and they start to screech around turns at high speeds which i dont like. I want to get as much traction as possible without hurtting handling substantially. Would 255s on the rear and 245s on the front be better?

Also if anyone is interested in my stock cookie cutter rims with almost new tires minus the drivers rear which was worn down instantly by my broken hub, let me know

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Enkei 15x7's
Fog/headlight mod to come

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny

Last edited by Imwithstupid^; 06-09-2004 at 04:17 PM..
Old 06-09-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Naw, get ya some spinners on 19s with about 5mm of rubber around them... Yeah, thats the ticket....

I have 225 50 I believe, they work nice.
I rarely screach and spin tires, even when I want too. They just grip too damn nice.

What brand of rubber are you puttin on them ???
or does that depend on the size you decide ??

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-09-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The best tires i have used were on my vr4 and they were Sumitomo. I have used Ventus, Firehawks, Bridgstone, and a few other brands but the sumitomos have been the nicest. So you think 245 would be too big? I know the rims are a bit flashy but i am repainting them. Gonna repaint the spokes black and repaint the rest chrome. They were pretty cheep and they are better than the 15x6s i have.

The 215's i have i can burn all the way through first gear, a little in second, and chirp them going into 3rd. This with two completely destroyed rear bearings, and an LSD trans. I just was gonna get wider tires since i have to replace them all anyway.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Enkei 15x7's
Fog/headlight mod to come

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-09-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Paint the centres but I wouldn't recomend painting the outer section. They should just be polished back into shape and then if you are bad with maintenence then clear-coat them.

I wouldn't go past 225. That should be plenty of grip for a N/A and any wider will just be harder on the bearings and heavier to spin. Un-sprung weight is your enemy. With the right offset 245 should fit in the back no problem if you really want to do it. I have no idea about the front though. Make sure you have the correct offset for your car and year.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: