Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Angry about to throw in the towel

well my car is being stupid... ill be driving along when all of a sudden the rpms slowly drop to 0. no matter how much gas i give it the rpms just fall. if i try to pop the clutch the rpms go up then fall. when the rpms reach the bottom the battery and oil light come on. once i stop and i try to start it it starts right up. this happens at completely random times. its happened on the highway at 80mph, on the street at 20 and everywhere inbetween. what would cause this?

im really just wondering what would cause this. lately i have been adding up the prices on things to fix... its just too high. ive pretty much made up my mind that im ganna sell this car. only thing i dont know yet is whether im going to part it out or sell it as a whole...

but what cause the problem i described?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
The ENGINE rpms go to zero or the speed goes to zero?

If the engine rpm goes to zero I'd suspect a loss of fuel pressure for starters. Have you verified proper flow at the injectors?

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
yes rpms drop to 0... well i would think the injector would be fine, i have reciepts for when they were replaced about 2 years ago. plus the car runs great normally, i have no problems at about 140mph. the car never hesitates or anything like that. i was thinking that the problem would be due to something electrical, like some cold soldering joints going bad or something like that or a relay. now that i think about it it only happens when the car has been for about 10-15 min. fuel pressure regulator has also been replaced about a year ago.

hehe... throbbing member... i love this place, if i got rid of this car i would still read and post on this forum!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I had a similar problem, only sometimes it wouldnt start. Driving along it would just die. turned out to be the DME relay
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check your electricals - double check the speed and reference sensors - if they have intermittant contact, the car will die.
CHeck the DME for water intrusion

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Check out this thread...I had a problem where mine did the same thing, except instead of happening randomly it happened ONLY when I made right turns.
Engine cutting out when I turn right....
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes Sheis....

Your car is totalled.

Let me know when I can come and pick it up.

(Remember, if you really like it, it takes a year or so to sort an older car. Lay off the upgrades and spend time getting the little things right. All in all I bet it is still less than a car payment.)
Old 06-10-2004, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Long shot but worth looking into.....
Had a similar problem with my audi, hard to diagnose, after extensive testing by the dealer (glad it was still under warranty), appears someone poured sugar into the gas tank!!! Try to remember if you ticked anyone off recently.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
The good news is it sounds like nothing mechanical - so a lot of really tedious & expensive repairs are out as a cause.

This leaves the basics - air, fuel, and spark.

Is it possible that you have an intermittant air supply blockage? Unlikely.

Fuel - it sounds like possibly an intermittant fuel starvation problem could cause this - check for pinched lines, clogged lines, bad filter, bad fuel pump, etc.

Spark - could be loose coil wire, or possibly the computer control (DME) or its relay, like AFJ said. Start with those things and take it from there.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: