Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steps on taking Radiator out?

Hey guys..one of my fans on the radiator lost 2 blades :| i have absolutely NO idea how it happened..but the radiator now shudders..because the fan's mass throws off the balance.

How do i take the radiator out? does it come out through the top..or the bottom?

Also..while i was at it, i wanted to remove the A/C system, my friend gave me a BRAND new one so i wanted to replace it..

Any help would be appreciated guys

EDIT: While i was down there..i noticed my front bumper has been deteriourating gradualy since i got my car

What's the best looking lip for the front end for an N/A?

Last edited by Zlatko; 06-09-2004 at 11:59 PM..
Old 06-09-2004, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
comes out from the bottom. you have a couple nuts to release up top, this takes the upper rubber stays , and then the same at the bottom. be careful with the hoses/plastic neck on rad !!
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Zlatko..you dont need to remove the rad to remove the fans. There are 6 10mm headed bolts that hold the fans in, 3 on top and 3 on the bottom..the fans can be easily removed after taking out the bolts, from below..
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Another question..when you turn off the car and it's still hot...one of the fans will run..

However..when you put your key in and turn it so that the electronics come on..the fans are a LOT louder...are both of the fans turned on..or is it just the one that's turning really fast?

One of the supports for the fan broke off..and since the fan is off center by the lack of blades..it shakes and shudders like crazy. If only one of the fans is on when the car is stopped..i wanted to just switch the connectors till i find a fan and support.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Guess you could pull the ground on the bad fan. The brown wire. Keep an eye on your temps as one fan may not be enough to cool off the engine.

You really want to find a set of the later 6 bladed fans. Much better than the older three bladed fans.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I called a mechanic in my area that knows what the hell he's talking about..

This is what concernms me..one of the supports for the fan is broken..probably can be superglued back together..but the concern is a temporary fix that i want right now, till i find some fans.

I kept asking Henry to answer my question, but his english isnt good..he's from Germany.

Alright..

WHEN I TURN OFF THE CAR AND THE ENGINE IS HOT, ONE FAN REMAINS ON. THE RIGHT ONE.

WHEN I PUT THE KEY BACK IN AND TURN IT SO THE ELECTRONICS COME ON, DOES THE RIGHT FAN JUST INCREASE IN SPEED, OR DO BOTH CLICK ON?

I kept asking him that..but he couldnt asnswer He just told me that there were 2 speeds for the fan.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Used & Abused

" knows what the hell he's talking about" Guess he doesn't know what you're talking about then.

Both fans should run.

You only need to remove the 6, 10mm bolts to pull the fan assy out the bottom.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by idontknow
" knows what the hell he's talking about" Guess he doesn't know what you're talking about then.

Both fans should run.

You only need to remove the 6, 10mm bolts to pull the fan assy out the bottom.
Where are these bolts?
Old 06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Feel around the edges of the housing, they bolt onto the outside edge (sort of) of the radiator

Old 06-10-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Later model fan circut runs the fans at two speeds using a two ceramic wire wound resistors besides the very slow speed for cooling off.

The later fans work great in the older cars. You don't get the two speeds but you do get six more blades.

Buy a complete set (both fans in their housing with the wire harness) off of eBay or at a junk yard. About $50. You can use the existing wiring if you can't get the harness.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Later model fan circut runs the fans at two speeds using a two ceramic wire wound resistors besides the very slow speed for cooling off.

The later fans work great in the older cars. You don't get the two speeds but you do get six more blades.

Buy a complete set (both fans in their housing with the wire harness) off of eBay or at a junk yard. About $50. You can use the existing wiring if you can't get the harness.
Yep..but hard to find..

Check these out...

Notice something? there's no blade

And this one...it's clipped in HALF!

Then i found this in the fan housing!

Old 06-10-2004, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Used & Abused

That's what you get for sticking your finger in the fan trying to see if it was spinning!

Old 06-10-2004, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

What? Then my finger would have come off..and not the fan blade.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Oops, I meant to say, trying to stop it. No your finger wouldn't come off. Hurt, bruised, and swollen yes but still attached! Stupid me thought one of my fans wasn't running after replacing the thermoswitch, the fan blade corrected my thinking fast. Of course it was dark out so i couldn't see.

I also forgot to end it with joke!

Old 06-10-2004, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

if these were original, 21 years isn't bad.

i relaced with 6 bladers and they're more efficient but not all that much louder.

"may the force be with you"
Old 06-11-2004, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bearone2
if these were original, 21 years isn't bad.

i relaced with 6 bladers and they're more efficient but not all that much louder.
What is the parts code for these 6 blade fans? Is this from a newer 944 ...or a turbo..or an S2? What's the story? :P
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
85.5 or newer. Think if you go down and buy a new fan you get the six blade units.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Alrght makes sense..but why does Pelican only sell "3 blade" and "4 blade" fans?!? :|
Old 06-11-2004, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i got mine right here at pp.bbs

"may the force be with you"
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Used & Abused

The 4 blade fan is a typo. It really is a six blade fan IIRC. Call/Email them to confirm this if you want.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: