Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing Old Speaker Wires

In the near future I plan to re-wire all four speakers while upgrading the sound system in my 89 944s2

I will start with the front 4x6" speakers....

I've been scouting around under the dash and in the foot wells to work out a plan of attack.....

I've come across a few problems....
1) I need to remove the 'hood-latch-lever' to remove the side carpet to get to the wires.... I can't see any obvious screws or clips and I'm not ready to use force.... Any ideas on how remove this plastic latch cover and lever?

2) I see the carpet and 1/2 inch of sound proofing is glued to the side of the footwell.... Is there and easy way to seperate this glued stuff to get the feeder hole at the door hinge?

3) What glue show I use to reset the carpets

Any photos... first hand experience or links to other sites will help...
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 06-10-2004, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The center cap on the hood latch popps off, allowing you to remove the hood latch lever and the baseplate.

You will also have to remove the rear hatch switch.

Force and a dull scraper will help get the carpets out - only remove as much as is necessary.

3m High strength YELLOW spray adhesive is good for remounting carpets.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-10-2004, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was hoping that was NOT the way.....

The Center cap... you mean the bit that covers the latch hinge... I'm trying to picture the piece...oh yeah, its only peice that can be logically removed first right?

Where are the clips located, more or less.. it'll help me put the pressure where it will do the least damage
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-10-2004, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you can find both ends of each cable, you can attach the new wires to the old and should be able to (gently) pull them through. Loosening the rubber "accordian" on the hinge end of the door will help you locate the speaker pair. That is what I did, soldering the new wires to the existing connectors for the radio. I assume you are going to install at least 16 gauge? Look up Parts Express. They have really nice cables on sale. (no affiliation)
Old 06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks... will do some more scouting this weekend.... as for the wiring... Yip definately decent stuff.....
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-11-2004, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just an update.....

Front wiring done.... No major work in volved.....

I found that there is hole close to the door opening almost opposite the rubber gromet leading to the door.

No need to remove the carpet or padding as originally thought, Just a little bit at the door opening on the side wall. Its easy to get to after pulling the rubber/plastic edge away from the door opening. 2 minutes, and the wire is though and the bits put back and the wire fed to the headunit.

The longest part of the job was re tuning the radio after reconnect to power. :-)

I will post pictures if asked to.....
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-14-2004, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: