Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Booyah 944
painting

had a passing thought to have my car repainted sometime soon aftar being hit w/ a cardboard box on the highway last week leaving some nasty scrapes on the hood. i have some highway chippin up front as well and thought maybe just get the whole thing repainted. i havant done anything othar than just have the thought and was wondaring if i could get some advice as far as whare i should be looking to take my business for this type of work and what price range should be considered reasonable for this work. thanks~
Old 06-10-2004, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Earl Schiebs... At least, that's who the rennlisters reccommended to repair my 924's damage.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ive had good results with Maaco (belive it or not)

As long as you do your own prepwork it usually comes out pretty good.

I have one done2 weeks ago as a mamtter of fact. $300
Old 06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
ummm...ask around a parts house or a performance shop in your town.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just had a fender replaced after the "great basketball hoop incident", and inquired about a full paint job. After hemming and hawing, my "friend" at the body shop told he'd do me a favor and paint my toy for only $4000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmm I love my car but I'm not CRAZY!
02 hyundai by mistake
02 WRX (damn this thins fast!!!) Now it's gone!
2000 Subaru Legacy. (damn this thinns slow!)
92 Corolla (that'll teach ya to total my subaru Alex!) Now dead! (hey kid! ever hear of oil?)
Old 06-10-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah...no reason to spend alot to paint these cars. They pratically have targets on the side of them for dings...Not to mention the nose getting dinged up from rocks.

a $500 oe less Paint jon will do just fine for a daily driver. wilth high milage.

Last edited by mambodave; 06-10-2004 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-10-2004, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Actually, if you do the prep work, removing all trim, mirrors, door handles, bumpers (don't forget the rubber guards), trunk lock, tail lights, antenna hardware (early), windshield trim, quarter windows and security system keylock, you can get a pretty good job from Scheib or Maaco. Stuff the parts you do want painted in the trunk; bumpers and rear view mirrors. Wait a while (I recommend a minimum of two weeks), use 8 to 12 micron paper wet, gently hand block sand by hand to get absolutely "bumpless" paint and then machine polish. Works best with clearcoat.

Taking off the mirrors is a real PITA because the connector wires must be removed from the connector since the connector is far too large to fir through the swivel part.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by Moneyguy1
........... Taking off the mirrors is a real PITA because the connector wires must be removed from the connector since the connector is far too large to fir through the swivel part.
ANother fine example of German engineering.... Makes no sense.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-10-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just cut'em loose..Wires are still there is I get energetic in the future...
Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There is a very simple tool to remove the wires from the plastic connectors. Then again, if you're getting a $500 paint job then why not hack up the wires while you're at it.

Cheap paint is forever.

-nick
Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Cheap paint isn't forever. More importantly, expensive paint isn't forever! It may last a bit longer, but how often do you want to spend 3-4 grand painting a $4000 car? Cheap or expensive, my cars still have to deal with Chicago temperatures, and worse, Chicago drivers. There's less emotional pain in finding a chip, ding or dent in my $500 Maaco job than my $3000 custom job.

Emanuel
Old 06-11-2004, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I went to MAACO. Value Prep on special in February for $299. If I get a chip here and there, I really don't care!

Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
Earl Schiebs... At least, that's who the rennlisters reccommended to repair my 924's damage.
Wow is Earl still around??????? He painted my 72 Fiat 128 for only $49.95 no ups no extras! Did a hell of a job on the tires and bumpers!!!!
02 hyundai by mistake
02 WRX (damn this thins fast!!!) Now it's gone!
2000 Subaru Legacy. (damn this thinns slow!)
92 Corolla (that'll teach ya to total my subaru Alex!) Now dead! (hey kid! ever hear of oil?)
Old 06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mytoy944
Wow is Earl still around??????? He painted my 72 Fiat 128 for only $49.95 no ups no extras! Did a hell of a job on the tires and bumpers!!!!
One of this grandkids still runs the franchise, from what I understand. They did my '73 Vega back in high school nad managed to avoid painting the tires and bumpers, but I guess you could say the prep was a little lax - they painted a maple tree leaf onto the hood!

Emanuel
Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Actually in my experiences, you DO get what you pay for with paint / body jobs. A cheapo paint job looks like a cheapo paint job and ends up failing, cracking, blistering, etc. I'm sure there are exceptions, but there's a reason some shops charge $1500 and others charge $300 for the "same" result - because the results aren't the same.

Another game these cheapo respray shops LOVE to play is to lowball quote you (we'll paint your car for $500!!!) and then when you go pick it up, you find out it's two to three times that because of "extra" stuff they found and had to deal with ("oh, we had to remove some dings", "there was extra prep work", "we didn't realize you didn't want the extra coats of paint, but we wanted you to be happy, so we did more work (yeah right!)", etc.) The scams abound, so watch out!

I'd be hella leery of any shop claiming they could do prep work and paint on one of these cars for less than 2 grand. There's a LOT of prep work to do. You might save some $$$ doing it yourself, but when the time comes for mine to get shot, I don't really have the patience to do it. I figure about $3K is what it's going to take for a good to excellent quality product with at least 3-4 main coats and 3-4 coats of clear, all the prep, etc. Body prep is a pain in the a$$, that's why they charge for it and frankly, I'm willing to pay it just to not deal with the aggrivation.

Besides, if they break something taking it off, they replace it - you've got a case against them. If you break something, bust a bolt, whatever then you're screwed and stuck with living with it or fixing it.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-12-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
if you read the fine print in the work shop orders, in most states its the law, they have to inform you when its going to cost more than $100 of the original price. if they dont you dont have to pay or if you do its time for a lawsuit!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Yea but in the meantime, you're still stuck with someone else hanging onto YOUR car, which they could potentially sell (unless you have a good lawyer that QUICKLY puts a restraining order on the shop), and most people aren't willing to wait weeks or months to get in a pissing contest with a shop while they have THEIR car, especially when it looks oh so nice and shiny and new and just begging you to take it home. And the shops know this.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-12-2004, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: