Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S2 suspension ?'s

My 90' S2 Cab has 135,000 miles on it, with Sachs front struts and Gray(can't read the brand) rear shocks. I presume they are stock. I recently installed a new rack, tie rods, sway bar bushings, and passenger side A-arm. Upon getting the car from the alignment shop the handling was much firmer than before but slightly twitchy. The other day I swapped the 16" wheels and tires out for a 17" combo. Now the handling is very twitchy!! While driving on the interstate there is a very slight pull to the right. Once and a while the car pulls to the left. If I travel over uneven road ie. a raised hump, the front end will follow the hump, when I have gotten completely over it I seem to over correct. This is a very Unstable feeling...
Does this sound like:
Alignment
Tires
Worn Struts/shocks
all,none, some, of the above.
The Fr. drivers side 16" tire I removed showed uneven wear on the inside, I guess it could be described as cupping.
The 17" fr. tires are slightly used, the rears are new.
Thanks for the help.
90' 650 superjet
"They may not be new, but they all run"
Old 06-10-2004, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you haven't had the car professionally aligned by a Porsche shop, it most certainly is the alignment. I take my 90 cab and other wasserpumpers to a Porsche certified mechanic who works at an independent shop, and they are familiar with the way a Porsche needs to be aligned.

good luck on your car

P
Old 06-10-2004, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What you experiencing may be normal with lower profile tires. It seems to be tramlining. i.e. the tires are more keen to follow the grooves on the road and you need to correct for it. You said you done allignment of the car recently so that should not be the reason for your trouble. Double checking it would be useful. just in case was allignment was done poorly. Weak shocks will cause twitching especially if you try to go faster, also more twitching if you go for 17's. Standard S2 suspension is quite soft so uprating the shocks to something like Koni's will help. Ideally the spring rate should also be uprated when going to 17's, to stop the car leaning too much when cornering. When this happens 17's will actually give you less grip then 16's even if the shocks are new.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had similar "twitchy" feel on my former car, Mazda MX6.
It turned out the studs of the ball joints were loose in the control arms. This would result in unpredictable changes of the toe.
Check them before you spend more money...
Old 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

An aggressive autocross alignment will feel this way.
A quicker turn-in means compromising the on-center stability.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise. Tomorrow I am going to throw th 16's back on the front, just to check the difference. The measured height of the front 16's and 17's are very close to the same. I will inspect the ball joints and related parts thoroughly at this time. When I had it aligned, I took the car to a reputable local shop that specializes in Porsche, but they took it somewhere for the alignment. I can only assume this place knows what they are doing. I do feel like I need to put new struts up front and new shocks out back. Do you have any suggestions as to the type and specs I should use. This is a street car that I enjoy running through the twisties, but definately not a track car.
Thanks for the help
90' 650 superjet
Old 06-11-2004, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I used to have the same problem. My car pulls slightly to the right and was very sensitive to road joints what they call tramming? Found out the passenger side ball joint was shot. I bought the ball joint kit and repaired the comtrol arm myself.

Now the car was fine. It also tracks straight without doing any alignment. I guess the alignment came back after correcting the loose balljoint. Hope this helps.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 06-11-2004, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

After the swap I noticed very little difference. This could be many things, amount of wear, profile, etc. The ball joints felt solid, however the drivers side strut felt like it has a little movement in it. I have ordered some Koni's for the front and rear. I am leaning towards the #200 springs for the struts. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks,
Jody
90' 650 superjet
Old 06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: