Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WHEW! I did it: Timing belt/Water pump

I finally got to it, well I kinda helped while one of my dad's old mechanic's worker removed the timing belt covers, then the belts, the radiator had to be moved out of the way because we needed to stick in a air wrench to take off the cranskhaft bolt, but anyway my dad's mechanic didn't even do anything, except check the timing at the end when we were done, hiw worker knew a lot and he worked really hard, I helped as best I could, and learned too, we didn't have any tensioning tools but we started the car up and ran it hard, well the guy did, and it works fine, except for the coolant leak

There was already a leak before, turns out the water pump seized on me, the pulley wouldnt spin anymore so we replaced that, all the rollers and tensioners, the seals and the water pump, now it looks as though we may have broken the radiator taking it out and putting it back in, so that's tomorrow job, well no actually I have to find a radiator first, so if theres anyone out there who wants to sell me one for under 60 bucks, I'll pay through paypal, but yeah now all that needs to be done is:

-E-brake needs to be replaced (I had to cut it)
-exhaust pipe section needs to be replaced due to the muffler getting hit and wrapping the pipe around some part of the rear
-Need a new front spoiler/valence (the part with the fog lights and turn signals, anyone? Anyone up for $200 including shipping??)
-Need a headlight motor
-Get insurance and plates
-Drive my car with a big smile on my face and a bulge in my pants too...j/k)

Old 06-11-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Its a great feeling having the car turn over after a long project.... but

Uhmmmmm and how did they tension the belt?

I have to tell you if he works on domestics.....he tensioned the belts TOO tight. These belts are stangely loose when installed. Takes a while to get a good feel.

It will start fine and run fine..... but I would feel better if you could get someone to tension them properly for you.

Do it for the kittens.

P.S and you dodged a bullet with that water pump seizing on you...... it could of been much worse.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

he just did it by hand, but they usually work on all types of cars, domestics and foreign, he has a lot of experience, i will shop around for some prices and possible see if they can be checked, we put the covers and everything back on otherwose i'd go and get the kricket from autozone.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't care what other cars he's worked on -- actually it's a detriment -- the belts have to be properly tensioned.

Also he most likely broke the small nipple off of the upper corner of the radiator. Not unusual as the plastic these things are made of gets super brittle over time. New one with a new gasket is less than $8. Better than a $200 radiator.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Adendum: Do hope the crank pulley was torqued to 150 ft lbs. If not your oil pump will not work.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I really do hope its just the small nipple, or maybe even a hose, he used the air wrench to tighten down the crankshaft bolt, it took it off after a few tries when we first took it off so he gave it a lot of tries to tighten it back up, does it have to be exactly 150? It may be tightened down more, thanks. Just look at the oil pressure gauge on the dash to see, right?
Old 06-12-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm off the hook.....

I know this is a wise a$$ remark, but your oil pressure guage is not going to show 150 ft/lbs of torque on the crank bolt. The oil pressure guage is going to show you that you need a new engine.

Porsche didn't design these engines to be assembled by feel and impact wrenches.

Watch eBay for the radiators if that is what you need. $200 is the going price.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Look, man, I do all of my own maint., but I also ask 12 different people when I have a question. The thing you have to bear in mind, always is: German engineers are exactors of exacting exactance!
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I own a 911 but am thinking of buying a 944 also. Can some one tell me why the crankshaft pulley bolt would have to be torqued to exactly 150 lbs or the oil pump won't work.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Honey Badger

It won't work if it is too loose. I'm pretty sure most people don't have a 150lb tourqe wrench so if you took it off just us as much force and the same tool (or combination of breaker bar-pipe-rod I use) to put it back on.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RMartin
I own a 911 but am thinking of buying a 944 also. Can some one tell me why the crankshaft pulley bolt would have to be torqued to exactly 150 lbs or the oil pump won't work.
At least 150 ft lbs. The oil pump impeller is not keyed to the crank shaft so the 150 ft lbs plus holds it through friction.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 944TurboHB
I really do hope its just the small nipple, or maybe even a hose, he used the air wrench to tighten down the crankshaft bolt, it took it off after a few tries when we first took it off so he gave it a lot of tries to tighten it back up, does it have to be exactly 150? It may be tightened down more, thanks. Just look at the oil pressure gauge on the dash to see, right?
The last time some one came to this board asking questions about what the diesel mechaninc that was working on his car should consider he had an engine fire a week after he picked the car up.

There are just a few things that you really need to be considered.

A few things that are very critical.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: