Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
how much is a 8v valve job

What should I expect to pay for a valve guide replacement for a 8v 944 engine. My local mech says between $1600-$2000. He is notoriously high priced.... but very experienced. should I shop around?

thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a friend that has a machine shop - they speciallize in race engines (we run a Blown alcohol injected BB Chev in a 62 Bel Air - runs 5 in the 1/8th and gets rebuilt at the end of each season - sofar never let go on us during the season) - anyway - he is in San Angelo Texas - I can ask him how much, that is assuming you take the head off and send to him. $1600 to $2000 - that guy is on drugs!
New guides, valve grind, head milled (not sanded) and crack tested and a head gasket set - what else would you need?
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What makes you think your valve guides need to be replaced?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
yeah I know what you mean. It seems a bit high to me but I didn't want to jump the gun a sound like an idiot....

I would consider pulling it off myself.

I would probably need to do the belts too while the head is off....it's been a few years (gotta check my records)

I was concerned about a strange vibration that seems to occur when the engine RPM drops after a rev of the engine...right around 2000 rpm. Wondering if it's related to the balancing shafts....maybe motor mounts....But I'm really not sure so I need to explore this and find out what's going on so I can take care of it at the same time. The car does need a tune up too so I'll start there.

If you could ask your buddy about the valve job price when you get a chance, I'd appreciate it.

thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
SoCal driver

I started burning a little oil....mostly when I decelerate and a little when I accelerate hard. I had just assumed that it was rings and time for a rebuild. I brought the car to a reputable mech who advised that I do a cylinder leakage test. He did the test and said that there's no leakage in crankcase and valves are still seating ok but it seems that valve guides are worn. He said it's not uncommon for these engines to rack up 200K or even 300K miles without much engine wear but valves tend to need service before anything else.

What's your opinion? Is the valve job conclusion premature?

Last edited by dangerous; 06-12-2004 at 01:38 AM..
Old 06-11-2004, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
.... I have purchased a completely rebuilt turbo head for $500 U.S and Turbo S racing head (titanium springs, and MANY MANY goodies) for $1000 U.S

YES THATS HIGHWAY ROBBERY for just rebuilding a head.

He would have to be replacing everything NEW....(valves, guides doing extensive machine work, polishing porting, and buying his wife dinner for the entire week before it costs that much.)

BUTTTT the price is right if he is pulling the head to do this..... In essence he is replacing your headgasket. How many of you have pulled your head and figured out how long it takes?

High mileage heads do well on these cars..... the guides do very well..... the valve stem seals are another issue. They crack, pop off, break etc.... You could just replace the valve stem seals.....

But it is worthwhile to pulll the head on high mileage engine mainly to freshen up the headgasket. It is more than likely on its way out....

You may as well pull it yourself .....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
I got quoted around 450 for a s2 head rebuild .....thats 16 valves buddy ..find another shop. (They are only replaced stuff that needs to be replaced...)
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 06-12-2004, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dangerous,
$200!
inc's crack test, bead blast, 3 angle valve job, new seats, new guides, new valve stem seals and a re-surface in the mill. In addition to this, I would also recommend a new set of valve springs, locks and lifters. If you need more info, call Mark at Winger Machine on (325) 655 8374 - tell him you spoke to Brett about the Porsche head so he knows who you are.
regards,
Brett.
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red

Old 06-12-2004, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
$200 he says!!!!

Oh yeah!!! looks like the head's gonna get done this summer after all.

Thanks a bunch for your info. I am definately glad I registered here. I'll be pulling the head off myself and probably be sending off to Texas. I've never pulled the head on this car before so I'll probably be posting questions during the process. I have a couple of questions already but I'll run a search of past posts first...

I'm wondering about the engine vibrartion thing though....

"I was concerned about a strange vibration that seems to occur when the engine RPM drops after a rev of the engine...right around 2000 rpm. Wondering if it's related to the balancing shafts....maybe motor mounts....But I'm really not sure so I need to explore this and find out what's going on so I can take care of it at the same time."

Has anyone ever heard of symptoms like this before?

thanks
Eddie
Old 06-12-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

is dangerous experiencing(sp?) the 944 shudder????

if so check out FR WILKS web site might be some help to you...

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-12-2004, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah - Mark has always looked after me - I have known him for a long time and he does the best work.
As for that vibration - I have read on past posts about the balance shaft belt and the possibility that it may have broken which would cause it - take that top cover off and have a look!
As for doing the head yourself - check out www.clarks-garage.com, and like you said, just post a question - the guys on this forum are very knowledgable and helpful (a bit of sunshine for everyone)!
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red

Old 06-12-2004, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
i guess you guys are lucky if the balance shaft belt breaks...cuse mitsubishi motors are designed in such a way that if it breaks, it will get caught in the timing belt and take it out with it.....experienced one of those...which is the reason that motor doesnt have balance shafts any more. I wonder if you could eliminate the balance shafts on the porsche...but a 2.5L motor is very big...compared to my 2.0...
Old 06-12-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I read the info about the N/A shudder.....yeah well I have that problem too. Adding it to the list. Thanks "adida(r 944)"....one less mystery.

The vibration seems is something else though. It will continue as long as the RPM is in the range of 1500-2500. There doesn't seem to be any vibration above or below this range. I'm kinda suspecting Balance shaft or Balance shaft belts.....but would make sense if the vibration ceases at higher RPM?
Old 06-12-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
could it possibly just be random stuff resonating between that rpm range and causing it?
Old 06-12-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think the proce he is quoting is for the complete job - rebuilding a head shouldn't cost more than about $600 if you are replacing valves and guided and keeping the springs - the springs is where the rebuild gets procey quickly

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-12-2004, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
texas 944, is that guy still around and doin the valve work? I'm trying to get my 83 done and that $200 is a great price....
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
HOLY CRAP
that was me!!!
back when I was a newbie!!!!
LOL

Dude, please don't do that!!!
it's like seeing your high school photo posted on TV
no one wants to see a thread from 6 years ago
we had a chat about 8V valve job about a week ago

I feel like I'm standing in front of the guys with my pants around my ankles!!!

Last edited by dangerous; 03-23-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Dangerous,
I laughed my ass off ~ for a minute i thought i had lost the plot - i havent posted anything on the forum for a while and I was beginning to think that maybe i had posted something in my sleep or something until i looked at the post date!
Did you end up getting mark to do your head? He is still there but now he also owns a huge engineering company too?
cheers,
Brett.
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Tex
ME TOO BROTHER!!!
I'm still chuckling

I had been away from the forum for a while too, only recently been popping back in. So here I am at work and an email pops up saying someone responded to smth on Pelican. I click on and see this post about a valve job...and I'm thinking "what idiot is going to shell out that kind of loot for valves?" Then I look at the name and my eyes popped out!!!

What the hell???? This has to be some kind of prank!!!! Then I saw the date and my heart started beating again....

I actually went ahead and did the job myself. Feels like a lifetime ago though!!! oh the nostalgia. My first timing belt tension....My first water pump R&R....(sigh)

now it's going to take another 6 years to bury this thread
(-:

Last edited by dangerous; 03-23-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
What should I expect to pay for a valve guide replacement for a 8v 944 engine. My local mech says between $1600-$2000. He is notoriously high priced.... but very experienced. should I shop around?

thanks
Quote:
HOLY CRAP
that was me!!!
back when I was a newbie!!!!
LOL

Dude, please don't do that!!!
it's like seeing your high school photo posted on TV
no one wants to see a thread from 6 years ago
we had a chat about 8V valve job about a week ago

I feel like I'm standing in front of the guys with my pants around my ankles!!!
Quote:
Tex
ME TOO BROTHER!!!
I'm still chuckling

I had been away from the forum for a while too, only recently been popping back in. So here I am at work and an email pops up saying someone responded to smth on Pelican. I click on and see this post about a valve job...and I'm thinking "what idiot is going to shell out that kind of loot for valves?" Then I look at the name and my eyes popped out!!!

What the hell???? This has to be some kind of prank!!!! Then I saw the date and my heart started beating again....

I actually went ahead and did the job myself. Feels like a lifetime ago though!!! oh the nostalgia. My first timing belt tension....My first water pump R&R....(sigh)

now it's going to take another 6 years to bury this thread
(-:

Heh Heh Heh
Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: