Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb storage bins form fitted in rear seat area ??

Has anyone made some storage compartments in the area where the rear seats are...

I know some have made speaker enclosures, but I am mainly wanting storage spaces.

I carry allot of copier parts for my daily work and the more I can fit in there the better. Others drive SUVs, like explorers or mini-vans. So, I have to defend that the 944 can carry what I need.

I will be taking out the rear seats today and maybe the front passenger seat.

The kalahari beige will always be my work car because its not in the best shape and any future P-Cars will be in better shape, so I won't want to mess with them..

So... Any pics or drawings of ideas ???

Thanks again, Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-12-2004, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
hmmm a 944 with storage bins instead of seats... YEAH! THATS AN RX-7!

a 2nd gen rx7 that is...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.

Last edited by scheistermeiste; 06-12-2004 at 06:25 PM..
Old 06-12-2004, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Don,

Do an online search for photos of the interior of 968 Club Sport cars. They have a deleted rear seat, with a shelf in it's place. The shelf has cubbies in it for storage and hiding valuables. It is simple to mock up a similar one and cover with matching carpet.

I have a photo on my other computer, I'll try to find one for you later on tonite after I get back from the auto-x that I am headed out the door for.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 06-13-2004, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I remember seeing those.

They should have a similar makeup on the underside , correct ???

They probably would also create a stop point for anything sliding forward towards the seats. The reason I say this is, the back seats are now out, and while driving a while ago I had a flat toolcase slide forward at a pretty good rate of speed upon braking.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I believe the bins from the 968 cabrio's (and probably the 944 cabrio's) will be a direct drop in for the rear seats. But I am not 100% sure on that. Definately a good time to build a lip for the cargo area. Was driving around with my seats down when I got beaned upon making a hard stop.

For what it's worth, I'm replacing my rear seats with a fridge, spare battery, and a storage bin in the not-too-distant future.

Buy my parts!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the fridge is a must and the spare battery wouldn't hurt either cuz I'll be having a PC in the dash eventually...

I drive 300 miles a day and just reaching into a fridge is better than stopping at a quicky mart for a soda or water etc....

I have noticed the difference in the weight. I have the passenger seat out now as well. Once I added some plastic bins of stuff, I was back to the original weight, but I can hear more of the tranny.

I think I'll get some expanding foam and smooth out over the surface, then paint it black.

I'm also thinking of some sort of speaker box mounted in the back to act as a sheild from anything flying forward.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
i was going to say something constructive and helpful, but i sat here too long with my browser open, and all i can say is...

*bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy*

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
A fridge?!?!?!?! What the fu*k, these cars dont even have cup holders, I dont understand, 944 = motorhome = ??
Ok Im done now, sorry
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 06-13-2004, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero10
I believe the bins from the 968 cabrio's (and probably the 944 cabrio's) will be a direct drop in for the rear seats. But I am not 100% sure on that.
I used to think so too, until someone with a 968cab with the bins in the back took some measurements for me. It seems that the bins in the cab are narrower than the space the coupe has for the back seats, due to the space occupied for componets for the convertible top. Too bad, because that would have been a nice option to keep things looking "factory"..........

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 06-14-2004, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Don, I used to sell copiers, It sounds like you are a technician. I have traveled with many technicians and many go so far as to disconnect the auto trunk release to help eliminate the theft of thier tools. They also make sure nothing is in the car interior, everything in the truck out of sight. Not saying that the 944 couldnt do the job but be aware, I would hate to hear about your hatch glass being smashed.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Use that canopy cover... It does more than block the sun from bleaching your carpet

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-14-2004, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: