Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Stub axle movement

Didn't do much searching so someone will probably point out a different thread but...

Building a 944 track car and the rear end is making a thumping noise and an occasional metal on metal squeal when I get above 30 MPH. Are the stub axles supposed to move laterally towards the wheel and tranny? I have play on both stubs that doesn't occur on my 911. The 944 axles both move at least 1" left to right.

Haven't changed the fluid. The top plug is soaking...the car has sat for years so God only knows what the driveline problem is.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used & Abused

No. Are you talking about the stub axles in the tranny? They have a long hex bolt holding them in place. The wheel stub axle could mean bad/gone bearing, spacer, or just a very loose axle nut.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Oh yeah, what year?

Old 06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah! What year is it?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's 1984 N/A

I am referring to the axles connected to the CV joints. The nuts connected to the hubs are tight. I can move the axle from the tranny to the wheel back and forth about an inch on both axles. The 911 axles don't have any movement (1988)

thx
Old 06-15-2004, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Don't drive your car till you get it fixed, here's why:
Rear hub replacement

I know it's a long post but you'll see what can happen.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!

Old 06-15-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The axles will have some latteral or end to end play. Especially when they are worn. Best to take them out and inspect the CV's. These can take some punishment. Sometimes turning the axle end for end will get you by for a while.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I couldn't get the picture from SoCal to come up in the posted other thread. Can you repost the pic SoCal so I can compare where my issue is?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It's part of Pelicans resources for the 944.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic42.jpg
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As the others said you should have none (or almost no) play in th estub axles.
You didn't mean the 'CV axles' (the axle combining the CV joints)? This one does move a bit (almost an inch?) to compenstae for the geometry changes in the suspension.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
A bit of nomanclature problem. Stub axles are in the trailing arms, axles have the CV's on them and the shafts coming out of the trans are called final drive shafts.

I'm curious as to why the whole suspension is not being gone through as this is to be a track car.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The entire suspension will be gone through before the car hits the track. I was hoping to get some street miles on it, to and from work to see if the engine, tranny etc has any issues that would leave me stranded at Brainerd International. I won't throw it on the track for another 2-3 months.

I am referring not to the stub axles, my apologies, I am referring to the movement of the axle in-between the CV joints. Because the car was sitting at a mechanics shop in NJ for a few years, I don't know what all is wrong with it. The grinding, thumping was the next "issue" to deal with.

Motor is doing okay (I hope 175 to 172.5 is good for compression), the tranny shifts well in all gears, brakes need going through to be safe. I have a 86 944 turbo rear assembly to go in when I figure out what discs to make match up with standard 944 calipers. I want to keep the car "I" class but want the Turbo AR bar and torsion bars.

I will most likely tear down the rear end next weekend to see where the noise lies. I was just hoping you guys would know if it is the tranny or not.

Great Forum guys
Old 06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Rear thumping and grinding is bad bearings on the stub axles. Specifcally the outer roller bearing inner race. The roller bearing sees all of the vertical loads and goes south sooner than the inner ball bearing. A good dose of water through worn seals helps a lot.

Be prepared to replace the stub axles as well as the bearings, spacers and seals.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: