Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Window Electric Motor Problem

Hi guys,

Big problem here folks. I took the electric motor out last night on the drivers side because it had given up the ghost. Problem now is that the window can move down of its own accord. I tried putting the motor back in but have failed miserably. How does one do this? Is there somebody out there who can help me ASAP?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
my only guess would be that one of the plastic sliders/rollers wasn't re-assembled properly when you put it back in the door? Those make sure the window has proper support while the motor actuates on the sprocket and window regulator...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-14-2004, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi again,

All I have done so far is pulled the motor out of the window mechanism. Everything looked ok mechanically so I tried to put the motor back in but the shaft extending out from the motor body won't go back into the window mechanism. Is there something that I am missing? If I were to guess where the problem was, I would say it is on the last 1/2 inch of travel where the shaft extending out of the motor tries to engage the splines on the window mechanism. What can I do?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
So you left the whole regulator in the door and just took off the motor? Interesting. How did you test the motor?

Most of the time we pull the entire regulator.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi there,

I just took the motor out and powered it up seperately. It didn't turn over at all for me so I then knew it was a dud! The reason I didn't take the whole assembly out is simply down to the fact that (a) I didn't think you needed to, (b) I couldn't find any reference procedure to follow and (c) well, there isn't any c.

L8r dude.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Be specific on the motor tests. You are supposed to put 12 volts across the two pins. If you went from one pin to the motor case nothing will happen. The door switches reverse the 12 volts to run the motors both directions.

Reason I ask is that it is seldom a bad motor that causes window elevation failure. Mostly the switch then the gear teeth on the large regulator gear segment. I would throw the guides and the small plastic rollers in there somewhere.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As you know, the shaft of the motor is hard to engage completely. I remember I powered it up, and the motor 'pulled itself' in.
My guess is the hole where the end of the motor shaft should sink-in is worn out, and there is no proper mechanical coupling between the warm and the gear (they don't touch). Or the shaft 'went down' underneath its hole. Try to remount it using the method above.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Worm gear? You took the motor off of the first stage gear reduction?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The shaft of the motor ends with a worm gear. I don't know the details of the further gear reduction setup, as I only removed for servicing the motor itself, without removing the complete regulator.
The way I understand it, Colm also removed the motor only, but I might be wrong in my understanding of his message...
Old 06-15-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I get that impression too as removing the motor with the first stage gear reduction would entail removing the window regulator.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think what he has done, he has not removed the whole motor assemly. I think he has taking the motor part off and left the gear assembly on the regulator. When he tried to put it back on, the window slipped down and now he can not line the worm gear up with the drive. I think he needs a extra set of hands to pull the window up tight, then try to put it back on. Or , just remove the whole assembly and put it back together. When I part out the cars, I take the motor assembly out first then the regualtor. It is easier for me that way.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I gather from all your posts that I need to get the whole assembly out and then try and put the whole lot back together again once my new motor arrives.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

And....make sure you double test the motor as SoCal suggested.

You could reassemble and have the same problem.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Test the motor in the whole assembly.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: