Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

K&N air filter

I've championed the cause "against" K&N air filters due to the fact that I bought two of them only to find they get such bad press. I also hate to see good machinery compromised by a well funded marketing program.

Now that I have received a "threatening letter" regarding my "opinion" about K&N filters, I plan to crusade this cause on a regular basis, in order to help fellow auto enthusiasts make the choice that's best for them.

Checking with sources I consider reliable and beyond the tainted impact of "selling" the K&N product for profit, I find they too, don't think much about the K&N filter.

I offer this info below as "interesting reading". In the event K&N is so good, perhaps they should contact Dave Mann, the author of this article.

Sincerely, P

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/k&nbitesthedust.htm

below is a confirmation of the link with the four letters "http" removed

://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/k&nbitesthedust.htm
Old 06-15-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Here we go again......

"Note: This is not intended to be a scientific test."
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Share the threatening letter!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
definitely share the letter..........

but curious? :P

Do you have anything else worthwhile to share on a monthly basis besides the air filter conspiracy ?

How about some pics of your car? or something a little more up lifting?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 06-15-2004, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Air Filter Conspiracy! I like that!

See the post where the installation of a K&N cuased the MAS to go bonkers?

Reason was that the intake was now right behind the radiator and everytime the fans came on the hot air distored the MAS's hot wire readings.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Grassroots harrassment?

I thought we were all allowed to have opinions in america.....I guess the lawyers don't necessarily beleive that.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Here we go again......
just when you thought - another boring day - I am going to enjoy this one!
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That article seems to have more of the "Cult of AMSOIL" about it rather than hard facts. Certainly nothing to indicate that a K&N filter will destroy your engine except by implication rather by hard data.

I'm sure if you look at similar tests by any other air filter manufacturer, their test will shou how good their filter is over K&N and Amsoil.

Personally, I think the OEM filters are fine - no real performance difference between that and a K&N.

That said, in numerous engine teardowns on both K&N filtered engines and plain old paper, I have not seen one engine where the cause of engine failure was air filter\dirt contamination related.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-15-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
there was a website or forum thread listed a while ago where the owner of a944 for racing did leakdown testing on his engine. found a higher leak percentage AFTER a race using the K&N, compared to a leak percentage with the stock air filter and airbox...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
there was a website or forum thread listed a while ago where the owner of a944 for racing did leakdown testing on his engine. found a higher leak percentage AFTER a race using the K&N, compared to a leak percentage with the stock air filter and airbox...
Yes but in the Loooong drawn out debate that followed IIRC that guys motives were questioned... and I don't know how it could be factually proven that the air filter was the cause of the bad leak down, too many variables involved. Also the article looked like it was written by a fourth grader which made some of us wonder about the authors capabilities.

More importantly K&N filters are a part of a communist plot to have all our cars break down so that when we are all stranded out on the highway they will emerge from their submarines and sweep through the nation stealing our women!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Women? Plural? OK! Who's been holding out and keeping more than one!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
as far as the "debate" about k+n versus standard filters go, its getting a bit long in the tooth, so to speak. you are entitled to your opinion, after all, its your engine, n'est pas? to be honest, i read all the posts, and am quite humbled by the wealth of knowledge, from the majority. however, please feel free to share your knowledge, and give comments about any subject, but when you make disparaging comments about items that people have bought, and then to compound things by insulting them, its no wonder people get annoyed. just common sense, tone it down a little, and dont look down your nose at people. i guarantee you wont ever get a threatening letter again!
like i said in an earlier post, you could be on your way home from work, and someone talking on their cell-phone runs right into the back of you. when your car is smashed up, who cares what filter is in it?
for what its worth, i pay a lot of attention to guys like AF JUVAT, BRITWRENCH, SO-CAL, AE1969, and lots more.
so please, somebody just let this one fade away!
i'm with scottmandue on this one!!
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Alright...someone do this then...

Go get a k&n filter..go to a dyno..run your car on it without the k&n...check the results then drive the car for 30 mins...then dyno again..

then wait till the car cools down completely...stick the k&n on..run the car...then drive the car for 30 mins again..then dyno again..

If the power DROPS or stays the same...you win ..P, but if it doesnt. You will receed your crusade.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

..p

what letter is this ?

more to the point did they mail you or send to your home addy ?

pls post the letter you rec'vd

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 06-17-2004, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Used & Abused

I love these threads, they'll go on for pages of just flaming.

..P If you keep searching the internet, you'll come across people whom have done their own testing of paper v/s k&n and found K&n to be a better filter all around. Have you crusaded on the other sections? Rennlist? A quick search shows no. Don't just spread the word here.

Zlatko ..P's opinion is about dust inhalation, although i wish someone would do this. Even if someone did, they'd get picked apart anyways.

Personally I've used K&N filters on many vehicles, my ATV, and haven't had a loss in compression from any of them yet. How could you explain this? When i pulled the head off the ATV, no scored cylinder, nothing wrong. Leakdown was at 7%. Could I just be lucky?

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Last edited by idontknow; 06-17-2004 at 03:22 AM..
Old 06-17-2004, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

2 christmas's ago I towed my trailer empty to Denver (got 10 mpg) - had christmas there with friends, Santa brought me a K&N filter for the Blazer - put it on in Denver, loaded up my 66 Corvette and filled the back of the Blazer with parts, went to west Colorado to visit a friend and then home to Dallas and got 12 mpg! Each gas stop I filled it to the brim and noted how many gallons and the mileage, so the mpg figures are spot on!
I also put one on my old throw-down honda and although i didnt notice any HP increase, i got an extra 3 mpg! Got 3 mpg with the bosch 4 plugs too (that's an extra 6 mpg - not bad). May get one for the 944 - anyone noticed an increase in mpg with one?

AND.....THEY HAVE A MILLION MILE WARRENTY...!!! If it looks too disrespected, just take it back to where you bought it and they are supposed to exchange it no-questions-asked (I sold them when I worked at the "O") - if they dont take it back, bend it a little inwards and tell them the filter couldnt handle the air going in - or something!
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Quote:
Originally posted by scottmandue
More importantly K&N filters are a part of a communist plot to have all our cars break down so that when we are all stranded out on the highway they will emerge from their submarines and sweep through the nation stealing our women!
So that's why they're red...
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zlatko
Alright...someone do this then...

Go get a k&n filter..go to a dyno..run your car on it without the k&n...check the results then drive the car for 30 mins...then dyno again..

then wait till the car cools down completely...stick the k&n on..run the car...then drive the car for 30 mins again..then dyno again..

If the power DROPS or stays the same...you win ..P, but if it doesnt. You will receed your crusade.
Actually it has been done with a 964. No significant difference in power or torque with K&N over stock filter.

Personally, I think their claims of power gain are over-inflated, YMMV.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-17-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: