Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Caster, camber and toe how hard is it?

Is setting up your own alignment very hard?

The actual adjustment seems easy enough, what about the measuring?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes and no.

For camber (two bolts holding the spindle to the strut) you just need a large carpenders square and a level slab of concrete. You want the top of the rim about 1/32" further in than the botttom.

Caster (back bushing) is a bit more difficult as you are looking for the strut angle in reference to the concrete. Some of the electronic levels may give you this percision. I would have to check.

Tow in gets a bit hairy. You need to make a crown ended bolt that goes into the steering rack to center it. Then each tie rod is adjusted till the toe in is on the center line of the car. Last you pull the steering wheel off and recenter it because the last time the front was aligned was at Sears where they have no idea.

All of this is basically the same as the VW Golf and a few other German cars. So if you are charged double for than what a Golf costs you are being screwed.

P.S. Don't for get to take the bolt out of the rack and put the plastic plug back.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How do I know a good shop to take it to and how much should it cost for a 4 wheel job?

(Do they have German specialty shops for this?)
Old 06-15-2004, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I've seen local prices from $100 to $300. Higher prices are at the shops that supposedly know how to do alignments on the 944. Note the rear toe-in uses the same tool as the older VW's so there should be no excuse for not having the "proper" tools.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Do you have any tire wear issues or experience any pull to either side at all? If none do not even bother.

However, you can do a quick check as SoCal had mentioned if you have a level ground or driveway.
The only alignment check you can really do is the toe-in and toe-out on both front and rear tires. I do this by having two 48" aluminum straight ruler, a tape measure and a friend to hold the other ruler. Lock your steering wheel. Place each straight edge ruler on the bottom third section of each front tires parallel to the ground making sure they are centered on the tires. Measure the front distance and rear distance between the straight ruler ends by passing the tape measure under the car. Same measurement means zero toe angle. Rear distance greater than front distance means toe-in and vice versa toe-out. Same applies to rear tires. Going back to your geometry, you can calculate the toe angle.
Camber check can be done with a straight edge and an angle finder you can buy from Home Depot carpentry section. Make sure straight edge is as long as the rim diameter. Place straight edge touching the rim vertically. Check camber with the angle finder. Caster is tricky.

That's all you really can do. If you are brave enough, you can make the adjustments yourself. Good luck.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 06-15-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys.

My issue with the 9 is that after my spacer instal the rear wheels look like this.

/ \

Not that bad but definetely more than before.

I cannot really adjust the front until I take car of a bad pass front control arm bushing......don't have a press and dont' feel like the struggle right now.

My daily driver really needs a toe adjustment on the Pass front....Isuzu Rodeo should be really easy....bad tire wear on that one side and wobble. I am going to count the threads on the driver and match on the passenger and see what happens.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: