Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Newbie ?'s

I have an '86 944 automatic (i know i know) that i have owned for about 3 months for 2 of those months i didn't have keys. So now that i am finally getting to drive around some i have noticed a few things that need would appreciate help with. First when i first start it up it shoots hot air through the vents(Yes, heater is off). Today driving down highway it did this, then it quit after a while and it was just regular air temperature from outside. Now from where my ashtray is and my center console and shifter are very very hot air was coming in. I only had center vents open, i then turned fan on and opened up the side vents and it quit shooting the hot air through console area. Also after 2 months that it sat there i finally had i key made and it fired right up and here lately for last 3 or 4 days it's drained the battery twice. Another thing that i have noticed is vibration when idling, it stops at about 1200 rpm.(Motor mounts right?) Finally i hear that the power steering tanks are notorious for leaking on these cars. Is there suppose to be a giant hose clamp holding this together or is that what holds it to the bracket? Thanks in advance for your help.
1989 Dodge Shortbed(project)

Last edited by DumasDemon84; 06-15-2004 at 09:23 PM..
Old 06-15-2004, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used & Abused

1) The hose clamp holds the tank to the bracket.
2) Motor mounts likely. What's the idle RPM? Go to www.clarks-garage.com and look up the procedure to check and replace them.
3) Battery draining could mean a lot of things, describe it more.
4) You probably have an exhaust leak and a ripped rubber shift boot
5) Park the car in the shade and or crack a window open.
6) You can get spare keys made at WalMart. It's a VW key.

Welcome to the board.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the heater issue may also be a clogged air temp sampler motor, just recently fixed the hot flashes in mine !!

battery itself may be the issue. have it tested. may not be able to hold a good charge.

It is not usally the tanks that leak but the connections and hoses. check clamped connections.
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

likely your heater control switch (in the engine bay) is stuck open....easy fix.

If your shifter boot looks good it has probably been replaced and possibly some of the insulation was removed as well.

You could also have issue with balance belts. If you don't know much about the belt condition or if it has been over two years I would change balance and drive belts......really, really I would......

Welcome to the Board!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Check and clean the grounds and AC belt tension for the poor battery recharge issue. Also check battery cables and terminals for oxidation and wear.
You DONT want to have to replace the starter or alternator due to a poor charging electrical system ($$$$)

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Smile newbie q's

Hello, here's an update. The very hot air thing(console area) seems to only happen when the windows and/or sunroof are open(ac not working). Boot is ok. i didn't see any insulation under or around shifter. Power steering fixed(Hoses). The vibration is only from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm and also a brace that holds the right side of my front spoiler is missing so that is causing some vibration. According to previous owner the belts(cam and balance shaft) had just been replaced. Battery seems to be ok until i put the fuses for the radio,inside light, and clock(#35 or #36) and the one for the release for the rear hatch(#?) then it is dead the next day. These 2 were not in when i bought the car(gee, wonder why) otherwise it starts up just fine. Not sure if one or both is causing the problem. I've been looking for a t-handle shifter(auto) but these are impossible to find. i found one and they wanted $450 for it. Will a tiptronic shifter work or something else and not necessarily a t-handle? As long as it has a push button to be able to unlock it from "park". Shifter indicator light switch is missing a spring or something, it works fine when i move the switch on the console with my fingers. Other than that the dash is severely cracked and sunroof liner is sagging. Oh yeah, i think the back hatch glass is loose(clunking from hatch area). Thanks again in advance for your help.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

looking for a t-handle push button shifter for an 86 automatic huh??.... well i got a t-hanlde push button shifter, might take me a week or two to get it out of my parts car 86 auto 944. make an offer. shifter looks original and its functional.

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 07-13-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Check the INNER shift boot (the rubber one underneath the leather one). If it's cracked it'll admit a lot of hot air into the cabin and also dry out your leather outer boot and cause it to dry out and crack. The heater issue might also simply be the slider controls on the console - check to make sure they're seated properly (I know, sounds simple and stupid, but it's happened).

Welcome to the board. And don't ask if you can turbo your n/a.

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-13-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Shifter

Man, i wouldn't even know what to offer. How about you shoot me a price and i'll let you know. Thanks for your response. If nothing else, I would remove it and put it on e-bay. I haven't seen any on there at all. If we can't make a deal, that is. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i sent you a pm to take this part off the board.

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Adida(r 944) never got your pm. Thank you Porsche-O-Phile i will take a look at that. I would never ponder such a silly idea. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: