Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sunroof Drains

The front sunroof drain on the driver's-side is blocked, causing water to leak onto the driver's seat. I've tried all types of methods to clear it, but I haven't been successful. Last night I decided to take off the A pillar trim to take a look at the hose and ran into a problem.

The trim has what appears to be three holes in which screws would be used to attach the piece to the body of the car. The lower two screws came out, but the top one appears to not be a screw, in fact, I have no idea what type of fastener it is. It sort of looks like a rounded off allen head, but the passenger-side fastener looks the exact same way. Before I drill the thing out, I want to see if anyone else has tried to remove the A pillar trim piece.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
is it torqs (speeling i know i suck at it) or star as some people call it?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No, I don't think so. I tried all types of tools and nothing comes close to fitting. All I can figure is that some previous owner stripped whatever it is (was).
Old 06-18-2004, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Have you tried using the plastic wire from a lawn weedwacker? I used one, and it worked wonders for cleaning the drain tubes.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 06-18-2004, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yep.

That was the first thing I tried. It only went down about 10 or 12 inches.

Hmm. Maybe I'm approaching this problem from the wrong direction. Maybe I should find the end of the tube and see if I can go the other direction.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i used a clothes hanger to unclog drains on my cars.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
What about compressed air?

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-20-2004, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i dont think compressed air would be good unless its at a very low psi. if you put too much and it was clogged very well you could expand the years old plastic and pop it like a balloon. but with the hanger idea youd have to be careful too not to poke through the tube.

Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If your car is like the ones I've had fun with, the top mount hole on the A pillars really does have the same type screw in it, but it does not go into the bushing (that is actually part of the pillar), so you most likely cannot see the head of the screw. Your looking at the bushing. Compare this sight to the other holes where you've removed the screws carefully. If you take your screwdriver and dig around keeping the screwdriver straight up (90 degrees in relation to floorboards), and just above that bushing your looking at, it is there. Its just buried in the body of the pillar. The two lower screws go right thru the center of the A pillar bushings. The top screw doesn't. At least this is what I've found in at least 4 cars I've played with. HTH
Old 06-20-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You're right Granite. After screwing around I discovered the screw. I took off the trim and found my problem. A previous owner had an alarm system install and they removed the trim to run some wires. When they put the trim back on they put one of the screws right through the drain tube. The tube was flat as a pancake. I'm surprised it worked for as long as it did. I cut out the flattened section of the tube and grafted on a new section from some plastic tubing I had lying around.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I guess this means you won't have that "wet your pants" look going for ya anymore!

Glad to hear ya got it taken care of!

Old 06-21-2004, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah, it's real nice to go out to the car and not have a wet seat to sit on. Now I have to figure out why the rear passenger foot well is filling up with water. Probably coming from the battery box, so I'll pull the battery and see what it looks like.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: