Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question I'm new to 944's have questions

I may come over from the 911 side of the garage (although I will be keeping mine!) I love the looks of the 944's and I am ready to buy one for more frequent driving than my 911. I drove a stock 1986 951 and liked it alot except for the fact that nothing happens until 4K rpm. I can get used to it though because the pull after that is nice!. Wow do these handle !! OK then, would you say that the 86-87 ish 951's are alot better (faster + more fun) than a 89 944S2 ????

I know everything to look for on 911's but I know squat about these 944's. What are the historical problem areas I should know about before I hand over any money????

Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Good one FR

The S2 has about the same HP, but it has a much more linear torque curve which lends itself to more street friendly driving. On the other hand, it's pretty damn cool when the boost kicks in on a forced induction car. The 951 is also a lot easier to pull HP out of, the NA engines in the 944 line are expensive to gain power on. The S/S2 engines also have the 16V head which while it improves flow, it costs a ton more to fix if you throw a timing belt. They're somewhat rare (the head) and rather expensive. The timing belt/tensioner change on the S/S2 also costs more because there's more crap to change. However, if you're doing it yourself, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Problem areas? Timing belt. Most people say to do them every 45K miles. It's a piece of cake to do yourself, don't be scared! I've never priced the parts for an S/S2 motor, but the parts for mine were about $300, so I'd guess around $400 for the S/S2. Might be off though.

Oh yea, get a mechanic dude to do a PPI. You'll find all sorts of fun problems with the car if you don't.

Good luck with your move to a Real Porsche:-D

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Nice to see a 911 with some brains. Anyway As for problems with the 944/924/95s One is the timming belts, if they are miss cared for then boom, there goes the head. Also the battery tray on many of these cars rust away and leaks into the car so check that out too. Another problem is some people have problems with hatch and window seals leaking, agian check that. Also look for oil leaks and oil in the coolant. Alot of the oil coolers leak and you get a nice milkshake in the over flow tank. As slowtoady said have a Porsche guy look it over.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Study this website:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

everything you wanted to know about 944's but were afraid to ask!

I went to your website and the the jpg's aren't working (for me)

Also, there some good articles here on the pelican website about the 944.

Happy hunting!
Old 06-19-2004, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to shocker1322
I am unfamiliar with the clutches on an S/S2, but if they are rubber like the regular 944's, they tend to break around 100k miles or so. If it has been replaced or you plan on replacing it, definitely get a spring loaded one. If not, check the miles and plan on doing it someday. This is not a cheap job if done by the shop ($2000+) but doable if you do it yourself ($700). And as mentioned before, check the belts and sometimes there are minor oil leaks. It is a great car, just a PITA to work on.

PS. Get a 944S2
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's
Old 06-19-2004, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From messing around on this forum for a while now, I also understand that need to buy a couple pairs of socks also, when wrenching on the 944. You'll have to ask one of the regulars about that, they lost me on that joke a long time ago.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: