Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Am I Obsessed or just obsessed

Hi all...

I've been reading here a while and realised, that while reading almost evey post, I find myself drifting off and thinking about driving home in my S2.

Infact.... I love my work, but getting there and going home have become my favourite times of the day.... Sometimes I have to take some really cool roads and I get home with such a big grin on my face my wife is beginning to wonder. All I want to talk about the last time I drove the car.... I don't of course... I can't have her and other friends and family think I'm nuts.

Any spare time I have, I want to be outside either driving her or washing her.... I find myself never wanting to finish cleaning her...after a quick rinse and hand dry, I walk around her feeling the smooth lines and curves, looking at the way the light catches.

I can't walk away without looking back at least once.....

I lie in bed at night and study every aspect of her from bumper to bumper in my mind....

Other than that I think I'm totaly normal.. lead a normal life, have a normal wife and a normal cat. It just this damn car.... I love it..... in the four months I've had it, its totally consumed me.

So is it me or do some of you also suffer from this obsession?

Ps... I look out the window... and there she sits...... waiting for me to take her home..... Hmmmmmmmmm
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 06-18-2004, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
This is perfectly normal behavior.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-18-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Yes, I have the same feelings. Until I have to make a repair and get the parts bill!
Then I want to take a shotgun to it!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
sounds normal to me

and i thought i was the only one who enjoyed thoroughly cleaning the car... people think i'm nuts for washing, waxing, polishing the wheels, vacuuming, detailing the interior, and detailing the tires/trim all in one afternoon. WHat i don't tell them is that i love it.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 06-18-2004, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
I know how you feel, my dad said these cars are like my cocaine and he puts up with my habit because he rather me be addicted to a car than a drug. I'm fortunate enough to have a daily driver so I can take my time restoring this car to its former glory. I get a huge grin on my face everytime I see this car. Porsche-o-file was right, perfectly normal behavior.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 06-18-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yep...here too. The poor Benz is getting neglected.

Sounds normal to me!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
this is totally off-topic, but a new family just moved in down the street, and the REALLY REALLY cute daughter is a ricer, complete with decalled-and-bewinged Civic. Time to find out, 1) how old she is (hopefully college-aged), and 2) how she feels about Porsches
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 06-18-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
I know how you feel, my dad said these cars are like my cocaine and he puts up with my habit because he rather me be addicted to a car than a drug. I'm fortunate enough to have a daily driver so I can take my time restoring this car to its former glory. I get a huge grin on my face everytime I see this car. Porsche-o-file was right, perfectly normal behavior.
Smart dad!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Sounds completely normal to me....I've washed this car and changed the oil more times in one year then I ever did in the 5 years I had my Accord...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 06-18-2004, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Yup Im the same way, I love driving to and from work, Sometimes I go past my house and keep going. A couple of times I have got up from sleeping at night at like 2:00am and gone for a ride in my sweet 924S When I park it I always look back at least twice. Its always on my mind. I would take it over my girlfriend

CJFUSCO
The girls love Porsche's, most of the time all you gotta do is show them the key and they are all over you.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
heh well the problem is that i work in Avon, so even if it's a new Porsche, there is probably a guy right around the corner with a new Ferrari...
Old 06-18-2004, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I think this obsession is detailed in the owner's manual as "routine care and consideration for your Porsche".

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-19-2004, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sounds normal to me ..

I get to drive mine all day for work, averaging about 300 miles a day. I love every minute of it, especially when I get to open her up on clear freeways..

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-19-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
wow that sounds awesome...

where are these clear freeways you mention???

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-19-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Like I said before. . . perfectly normal. Congratulations, you've passed the first step to becoming a true Porsche owner. The second is putting that "warm soft fuzzy" feeling it gives you to the test when you get your first repair bill. If you reach the conclusion that "yes, I'm spending WAY more than I should be, but I don't care", then you've passed - you're officially hooked.

The interesting thing about these cars is they're almost universally owned by enthusiasts. The prohibitively high cost of maintenance / parts leaves the "wannabes" running for the hills the first time they have to fix something. The only ones willing to put up with the time, money, or work to keep one of these cars operational is pretty much by definition an enthusiast. No "normal" person would put up with it and just drop the car faster than a pair of panties on prom night.

It's a sort of self-policing way of making sure that (for the most part) these cars don't fall into the wrong hands. Occasionally there are exceptions, but most of them are owned by loving and caring enthusiasts. Your comments make me glad to see another beauty in the hands of someone who cares.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-19-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
wow that sounds awesome...

where are these clear freeways you mention???
sometimes the southern part of the 57
the 5 south of san clemente after the checkpoint
sometimes I get lucky and can open her up in between groups of cars...
also the 2 and the 210 west of Pasadena....
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 06-19-2004, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wow.... as a newbie, I was expecting to get flamed with napalm, jet fuel and every other substance known to man to cause severe burning.

I thought my obsession would be seen as silly and immature, but I had to make to post to get a sense of perspective.....

I feel total normal now... thank you.. and to celebrate.. I'm to start washing my S2 again..... and maybe again.... and think up an excuse to get in and go for drive..... a long drive.....

thanks guys.....

Ps... as for the bills..... well.. so far I'm doing OK.... Had the Chain tensioner checked and it was still new from the PO.... Got a lub service and maybe I'll bump it up to major service in about 7K.

Just in case.. I keep a credit facility open at the bank for a few grand... Its my daily driver.. so I can't wait six months to get her back on the road if something happens.... I'll have to take the pain all at once...

But..... I bought her knowing what I was getting into....
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-21-2004, 12:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Ask your wife in a couple of months time if she thinks you normal when so much time and money is spent on the car and not her! Some guys are lucky, others get wife to feel an ownership of the car so they don't complain. I have a wife and daughter that don't understand the enjoyment of ownership.Washing and polishing-lucky if I do that every 2 weeks, but then it is not as pristine as yours. Bills-at least there are a few shops in JHB to get better deals, not like Durbs, but you will still cry.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

When it comes the wife, she's ok so far...., actually, She saw the car the Saturday after I saw it, and then I few to France for a week saying that I would think about it and make a decision when I got back. She phoned me on the Monday to say the car was mine... She says I deserved it for all the years of hard work that allow her to stay at home with the kids...

But.. saying that.... I agree, in principle she's ok with, but wait till the spendng starts......
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Old 06-22-2004, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: