Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

air intake setup "?"

I've been thinking (scarry huh?) about my air intake.

the original plastic debry blocker wouldnt fit right with the fiberwerks front bumper becuase it was broken at the mounting holes. so i thought i would route the air intake to the hole on the bumper. here is a really rough drawing of the idea...

the custom air tubes would connect to the stock air box, it looks like the stock air box and the air tube that goes to the fender can be detached from each other. this would be a great place to insert a bypass valve (if needed) and connect to the rest of the intake setup.

what do you guys think? would this work? and would i need the air bypass valve?

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-18-2004, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dude..i gave up on my car's air intake..if you figure out something give me a shout..

What you SHOULD do..is find a way to circumvent the MAF. That thing spoils EVERYTHING.

If it wasnt there..you could take a long tube from the throttle body and put a k&n filter on the end of it..and stick it through the fender.. or even better..you could play with the front of the car a bit and see if you could get a STRAIGHT pipe in behind the radiator somewhere...that way it wouldnt have to make a 90 degree turn to the right of the car (looking towards the front of the car)
Old 06-19-2004, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

im not really looking for power gains here. just a different way to keep dirt and water that fly's off the tire and gets sucked in by the air intake tube. only becuase i cant find that rubber/plastic debry blocker thing anywhere on the net. so this is my third option. just really need to know is if a air bypass valve would be nessecary and/or good idea if i went this route.

right now i have a 90 degree peice of exhaust tubing screwed to the rubber boot, that connects the air tube to the fender, and pointed it towards the front of the car. this set up still gets small dirt clumps to sit on the air filter somehow, so im seeking out other alternatives.

if it came right down to it i could always make a piece of tin that duplicates the original rubber/plastic peice

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS

Last edited by adida(r 944); 06-19-2004 at 01:07 AM..
Old 06-19-2004, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
adida, if you're not worried about power than why not just get a cone filter and strap it onto the VAF (yes Zlatco, it's a VAF, a MAF would have been MUCH better). OR OR OR, maybe you could get a K&N cone, strap that onto the VAF, and run that flexible drier plumbing stuff from the intake up to the air filter so that it's feeding it fresh air. I feel as though I just had a stroke of genious, you can drive it in the rain AND get air flow to the filter. AND if you're feeling real creative maybe make a custom heatsheild (sp?) to go around the filter and plumbing so that it stays nice and cool. w00t, I'm on a role over here
Old 06-19-2004, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hmm...gearhead you gave me a idea... ill ditch the stock air box... strap on one of these http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ and then stick a filter out of the bumper and tube in the rest up to the intake turbo charger. gains up to 15 hp for 200 dollars and up with the electric air charger system. might as well since im thinking of tubing in air.

03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-20-2004, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Wow thats crazy
Old 06-20-2004, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does anyone have any experence with the E-Ram..http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...
it sounds to good to be true

thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Adida,
Here's a link to the inner fender shield on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7905747397&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
It'll probably save much time and even some money.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 06-21-2004, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

user426-it is too good to be true
Old 06-21-2004, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yeah that does sound too good to be true. ill buy one, someday, and let you guys know the outcome, but for now ill just keep my car parked only becuase i got lots of bugs to work out before she is really good to go.

like for instants this delema
and wheel bearings(got parts waiting on time), cooling fans(bad fan bearings), A/C (removal), Cat (replace or remove), O2 sensor (replace), cv axles (replace), prep for paint (must do), E-brake (reset or replace), Brakes (rebuild callipers), find vacume leak, recheck T&B belts, and the list goes on . oh well at least i got to drive it to find all these bad parts that need fixing

03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

http://64.4.26.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=60623c7679ac305e018fa62e716e30fd&lat=1087968726&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehomemadeturbo%2ecom %2ftech_projects%2fel_blower%2findex%2ehtml
Old 06-22-2004, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

^^
http://64.4.26.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_...%2findex%2ehtml

Your email message has been idle and this link has become inactive. To access the link, close this window and return to your Message. Then click the browser's Refresh button or close your message and reopen it.

whats that suppost to mean?

03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/el_blower/index.html

sorry, I suck at life
Old 06-22-2004, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Actually ...your chip was the best investment I made in my 84....works great
Old 06-23-2004, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
eBay-Build custom electric supercharger
Very lame. Might as well buy a jet-turbine to supercharge for you.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-23-2004, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: