Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ebay auction, looking for opinions

Thinking of buying this for my son. The car is 2 hours away from me. want to make sure its worth the drive.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2482306417

Thanks!

Insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Check out the interior and get a PPI.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 06-19-2004, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

not a lot of info there on ebay - mail him and ask if he got service records ...... also depends on the price ....... maybe somebody on here could check it out for you
Old 06-19-2004, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Looks like a good deal..
HOWEVER You being a Porsche owner probably know that a cheap Porsche can quickly become a money pit.
I agree that you should have a mechanic look at it or inspect/drive the car yourself before buying.

IMHO

Darn you! Note to self: Do not look at ebay! There is a 951 in my area with a buy me now at $7500 and a 2.7 at.... argh... must be strong... run away.. run away...

Last edited by scottmandue; 06-19-2004 at 07:09 AM..
Old 06-19-2004, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Agreed. The price is low, but that's usually for a reason (other than the fact that it's a 924). The information seems really sparse. A LOT can be wrong with these things including (but certainly not limited to) electrical, climate control, suspension, drivetrain, etc. etc. etc.

When were the belts last done?

I suppose if you (and he) don't mind a possible (expensive) fixer-upper, it'd be okay though. Maybe a good experience for a young guy to learn something about cars and why it's important to take care of them and not beat the crap out of them too. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-20-2004, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I suppose if you (and he) don't mind a possible (expensive) fixer-upper, it'd be okay though. Maybe a good experience for a young guy to learn something about cars and why it's important to take care of them and not beat the crap out of them too. . .
Oh, you forget... The 924 was MADE to take a beating. Engine was pretty much a tractor engine (non interference, decent power). Body and suspension are Porsche, the rest is all VW/Audio components.

Trust me, the 924s can take a beating. I've surely dished one out to mine and what's it do? It asks for more. Purely Sadistic cars, these 924s.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-20-2004, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

FYI- the car in question is an '87 924S, it's basically a 944 without the fender flairs.

Looks pretty reasonable. The mileage is high and it will definately be something to tinker with. The $$ belts will be your main concern.

PS- the early 924's use a diesel bottom end which definately can take a lot of abuse, however, I wouldn't consider them as having decent power- I would barely say that about the 2.5L's. Also, there isn't much on the early 924's that is 100% Porsche, the early 944's were much the same save the Porsche 2.5 lump.

-nick

Last edited by nickd; 06-20-2004 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Given the extremely limited price differential between an exceptional 944 N/A or 924S and a lousy one, I can't see the appeal of this piece of mystery meat. The mere fact that there are no photos and there is no mention of records pretty much makes it a certainty that this car is/was owned by someone who doesn't care. Why bother when you can buy a very good one for a few grand?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The seller stopped answering my e-mails once I started asking some pointed questions, a sure sign that something significant is wrong.
Thanks for all of your suggestions & comments!!

Insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ive bought 2 944's on ebay and have been pleased both times..

But...I would not buy this car. yes..its cheap, but there is almost no description and only 1 pic.

Run, Run, Run away my friend.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: