Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
cooling fan motors.

can anyone give me the current draw for a single, and also for the two fans, in operation?
thanks, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
About 12 to 14 amps each.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-19-2004, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
many thanks socal.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Is it the same for 6-blade versus 3-blade fans? I was considering upgrading to 6-blade fans although it's probably easier to just swap out the whole assembly rather than just the blades. Any problems with different size motors or their ratings?

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Think the six blades could pull close to 20 amps each as they have 25 amp fuses. So figure 80% of that for the average load potential. Then this may be less when the wire wound resistor is figured in.

I still have a 15 amp fuse in the 83 for one of the six blade fans and it hasn't blown yet. So It's less 15 amps.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
You changed just the fan part then, or the whole assembly including the motor? 80% of 20 amps would be 16 amps, which exceeds the 15-amp fuse rating you mention (think that's what mine is too, but I'll have to look). I suppose I could just try it and see, but I doubt the wiring for 20-amp and 15-amp circuits is the same gauge, so I'd be leery of just "upping" the fuse rating to compensate if the fuse blew after changing out the whole assembly.

If it is just the fans themselves, they seem to operate okay with the smaller 3-blade-fan motors?

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-20-2004, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I put 6 bladed fans in my 85/1, changing out the entire motor/fan blade assy. and both fans are 6 bladed. I love the lower noise level associated with it. I've done the same recently with the '83, running the car a lot lately using the air conditioning, the only problems so far is that at least the one fan (passenger side) seems to be outta balance somewhat. I get that rythmic vibration from it when its running. It doesn't appear to be the bearings (smooth/freewheels well). Its not real bad, but does annoy me somewhat. I'd like to see if I can get these fan blades balanced better, but not really sure how to proceed with doing so. Any ideas/suggestions are surely welcomed.

Fans in the '85 seem to work very well, at least in about the 2K miles they've been in.

I've also noticed in the '83, starting real recently, that the engine rpm's bog down just a little more than before when the second fan kicks in. I'm just assuming I need to clean up the ground points on the front of this car, since those are about the only ones I haven't done yet. Fuses are the original values called out, and nothings blown yet.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
i'm considering changing the stock set-up to a dual flex-lite set-up. i changed the bearings in the motors, and believe me, they needed that, but its still a bummer, with the "hovercraft" noise. socal recommended changing to the 6 blade set-up, but i think the flex-lite will be even more quieter, and more efficient, with 10 blades/fan, and drawing approx 9 amps each.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You change out the entire fan blades and all. The motor is as different as the number of blades. The fan is a direct bolt in for the older fan shourd/housing. Just make sure that you put the wires on the correct pins or it will run backwards.

Try that calc again. I said that 80% of 25 amps is 20 amps. I also saild that I still have a 15 amp fuse servicing one of the newer fans. So the draw is less than 15 amps.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i changed out 3's for 6's/shroud, used the same connectors, both come on when temp comes up just above the first line or if the a/c switch is on and one fan will run at a lower speed when the key is turned off if the car is at operating temp.

noise is about the same and at nite the lites don't dim/rpm doesn't drop when the fans come on.

i guess you could check the current draw when the engine is running, but water temp below where the fans come on, then turn the a/c switch and see how much the draw increases.

"may the force be with you"
Old 06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: