Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Timing Belt Replacement

What are the parts that I should replace in a timing belt change in my 84 944.....I have never tried this ......and are there any good detailed instructions around.....

thanks in advance......
Old 06-20-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to shocker1322
You should replace all the plastic rollers and gears. I would recomend also replacing the metal ones to error on the side of caution. And while you are in there you should think about doing your water pump if it has not been done in a while. I did all 3 of those on my last rebuild, everything is still working well.
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is there a Pelican or other complete kit...or do I have to hunt down individual parts....I've seen so called kits on ebay...but they didn't seem to be much of a bargan.....Yeah...I definitely would do the water pump too.

thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On the subject of water pumps....what is the difference between the original style and the upgraded one.....does it make a difference

thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You may be able to find the old style water pump as a rebuilt. The rebuilts are a shot in the dark as to wither you get one that will last. As you have an 84 and it's just possible that the water pump has never been replaced I would pay the extra for a new water pump and thermostat.

Replace the tension pulleys and the plastic idlers too. Having the smooth face idlers seize is no big deal. But having one of the two tension pulleys seize can be catastrophic.

Note that the new water pump will require that the back cover for the belts (engine side) be cut open in the center. This is for the metal "fence" that is to keep the timing belt from slapping itself.

Check out www.clarks-garage.com
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

Note that the new water pump will require that the back cover for the belts (engine side) be cut open in the center. This is for the metal "fence" that is to keep the timing belt from slapping itself.

Are there any pictures around so I can see what I have to do????

thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Honey Badger

with a lot of waterpump update kits you get a drawing showing where to cut. It's pretty easy with a dremmel.

You also may want to think about your front oil seals. They are easy to replace once you are in there. Just remember to replace the sleeves at the same time or you will get a leak.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

WOW...anything else I should do while I'm in there....this will be next weekends project.....

thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: