Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Drove my friend's 944

Hey guys-

I wanted a 944 a long long time ago and joined this board because of that. After realizing a 944 wasn't practical for a 17 year old, I bought an e36 bmw 325i and started hanging out over in the BMW crowd. Its a nice car and all, but after driving a mint 944 the other night, I can easily admit the 944 is a MUCH MUCH more balanced and capable handling car than my bmw.

My friend (a girl who doesnt really even care for cars) was given a 1986 graphite colored 944 na by her grandpa who took very good care of the car. She let me drive it a bit and here are my impressions. First, the clutch is pretty soft compared to my bmw. However, it is still very easy to catch and grabs pretty smoothly. The shifter is in a very comfortable position and the throws are nice and smooth. I remember everyone talking on the forums about the way the "door shuts" and how its so different from POS hondas and whatnot. And its true, the door does shut in a very nice fashion. The handling on the car is absolutely superb. My bmw has an aftermarket suspension which has proven to be very capable at the track, yet the 944 wins hands down even in stock form. The car seems so sure footed and gives off the heavy feeling. My friend noted that she feels safe in the car since it is so heavy compared to her 2001 civic 4 door. I had to inform her that the 944 most likely is most likely the same weight if not much lighter than her civic.

So to sum it up, the 944 is indeed still a car of my dreams. However, I'm stuck with a bmw which i've poured in too much money and going to college at the same time (where its hard to find parking for a single car, let alone two) will not let allow me to purchase a 944 anytime soon. So maybe in 2 years, once I'm out of college, will I be able to get a 944. Til then, just know that I'm entirely jealous of you guys.
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 06-20-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You're hooked. Trade for the 944.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Part the Beamer out

-OR-

show her this pic -

http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/prodinfo.asp?number=9999%2084%20944%20053198&variation=&aitem=12&mitem=87

and tell her you'll swap for a much safer BMW!
1989 IROC, Arrest-me-Red
1966 Corvette Roadster 427 4spd, Silver / Black

DRIVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST STOLE THEM!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Set fire to the beamer and take the $ and buy a 944.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

944's are too practical for 17 year olds!!!

Seriously though, i had never even heard of a 944. I was on ebay just browsing through cars a couple days after i totalled my VR4 *sniffle* and i noticed this one was sort of local. I didnt know anything about it but i checked the gas mileage and horsepower just to make sure i wasnt buying a clunker since i had never heard of them, and i bought it for $810.

These cars in INSANE! The VR4 has all wheel drive, all wheel steering and an electronically controlled suspension with gas shocks. The 944 out handles that with no contest. I bought the car because it would be easy on gas, and would get me from A to B. I honestly do not think i would trade this car for another BMW. Check auctions and see which ones you can pick up for cheap. If you can't find one, it's not like you have to suffer. You do have a BMW 325 which is better than 85% of all teenagers cars. If you dont want it part it out or sell it. I havent driven a more fun car than the 944, so you can't go wrong with that.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Enkei 15x7's
Fog/headlight mod to come

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I love my 924S, The funny part is that I drive it so much I dont realize how superior the handling and braking are until I drive my girlfriends Honda accord. The Porsche makes you feel safe and gives you a sense of security when your racing down some back roads. I have owned mt 924S for 5 years now and I am still unable to outdrive the car or overheat the brakes. I love it
Old 06-20-2004, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

On my VR4 i used to be only able to go a disappointing 0-170 in 1.1 miles after i put in a stage 3 clutch, and drilled and slotted rotors. I removed the wheels only to find the most horrifying thing with brakes. I was actually scared that i was going that fast like this.

My hubs are single piece sealed bearings held into the steering knuckle by 4 bolts and they have the lugs with them. The only thing holding both front sides together were the axle nuts. The bearings were in 3 very very loose pieces. Apparently my 4 piston calipers froze up, MELTED the semi-metalic pads and rotors. There was hardened metal dripping inside of my wheel, all over my steering assembly, no slots left in the rotors, and over a 1/2" of play in every direction of the hub.

sorry, the brake thing just reminded me of that, i hope my porsche brakes dont ever do that

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Do I need to add my 2 cents now about driving wrecklessly or later?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
ummmmm Later and its not wreckless driving its spirited driving
Old 06-20-2004, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Kinda like, I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Lol Frank B your sig is funny...

wreckless driving is endangering the welfare of yourself and others by disregarding such in an irresponsible and careless manner completely discounting all outcomes resulting from your actions

spirited driving is knowingly endangering the welfare of yourself and understanding such, but maintaining a responsible state of mind for that of others by thoroughly and meticulously examining all possible scenarious of your current course

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
stupenal,

if safety is the main factor in your choice of a 944, I can attest that even a 100mph front impact you will be able to walk away from the car nearly unscathed.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-20-2004, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Quote:
Originally posted by Imwithstupid^
944's are too practical for 17 year olds!!!
No, they really aren't

Quote:
spirited driving is knowingly endangering the welfare of yourself and understanding such, but maintaining a responsible state of mind for that of others by thoroughly and meticulously examining all possible scenarious of your current course
So you're telling me that you know exactly how to react to every situation that could occur? I'm not pinpointing anybody, just saying it takes a lot of track time and a lot of time in driving school to learn how to go on a "spirited drive." This is for everybody, if you are testing a car's limits on the street it is wreckless driving and in many instances could result in jail time.

fast924S-I have smoked my brakes to the point that I have seen smoke rolling out of my wheel well. However, I have no idea what kind of pads are on the car, they're the same pads that were on it when I bought it.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ok let me rephrase that. 944's are too practical for SOME 17 year olds. This can be either that the 17 year old is responsible enough to own one, or that the 17 year old is extremely irresponsible in any car.

Suppose you are a parent who's son has totalled a camaro, mustang, a couple civic, and an s-10. All because he wants to go fast and show off in cars that arent made for his style of driving nor is he capable of compensating for their limits. To a parent a car that handles very well would be practical. btw i didn't crash any of those, that's just hypothetically speaking.

I owned a mustang, v6 which seems practical. it could go about 110, sounded nice with a flowmaster exhaust, and was considered a sports car, right? no cars like these, camaros, and civics are impractical because people who buy these usually buy them becuase to teens getting into the car buying phase, these are the 'cool' cars. They will try to drive these and do things in them that they werent made for, and that's when things become dangerous.

A 17 year old who has paid for and fixed every car he has owned with almost no help from his parents learns to appreciate any car he buys. Not just becuase full coverage insurance is $560 a month which is unaffordable, but because he knows in crashing one of those cars he loses a certain part of his character and connot afford to replace it. A rich kid who's parents buy him a 944 for a 16th birthday present, and the first thing he does is put in a massive stereo system are the ones i am afraid of. I'm poor so i am spiteful towards rich people .

Not every 17 year old is irresponsible, so saying 944's arent practical for 17 year olds isnt true, but neither is stating that they are. It all depends on the person.

All possible scenarious -- meaning even worst case. assume the worst can happen and upon assuming so decide if such will result in harming others. Basically that was meant as:

spirited driving - driving fast or dangerously for fun, but making sure no one is around or could possibly be harmed, making sure only yourself can possibly result from your irresponsible actions. - like me going around that one turn fast. If i roll i roll into a freshly planted corn field. If if i loose control i skid across a baren road into a freshly planted corn field or just stay sliding on the road. There is a good mile in any direction from any house and visibly no cars present. It's still irresponsible, but i know if i screw up only i suffer.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Re: Drove my friend's 944

Quote:
Originally posted by stupenal
I had to inform her that the 944 most likely is most likely the same weight if not much lighter than her civic.
Actually, the 944 weighs over 200 pounds more. The curb weight for a late model 4-door Civic is about 2,750 pounds. Curb weight for a 1986 944 is 2,965 pounds.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-21-2004, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I thought the curb weight of a 1984 944 was 2,675?

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
spirited driving - driving fast or dangerously for fun, but making sure no one is around or could possibly be harmed, making sure only yourself can possibly result from your irresponsible actions. - like me going around that one turn fast. If i roll i roll into a freshly planted corn field. If if i loose control i skid across a baren road into a freshly planted corn field or just stay sliding on the road. There is a good mile in any direction from any house and visibly no cars present. It's still irresponsible, but i know if i screw up only i suffer.
Only you, your parents, the farmer who has just had his field ****ed up by some young punk, the emergency rescue people, they guy with a legitimate emergency that those rescue people should have gone to but didn't because they had to go on a call for some young punk, the other people with your insurance company who have to pay a little more (insurance companies spread the costs, yes, you get a huge rate hike, but more accidents mean higher rates for everyone)... Get the picture?

Kids today just don't have any understanding of the ripple effect.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
I thought the curb weight of a 1984 944 was 2,675?
1984 != 1986. Reading comprehension. Learn it.

Aaron
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i know it's not the same thing, but i didnt think there would be a 300lbs wieght difference between the two.

I understand the ripple effect, but accidents do happen even if you aren't being irresponsible. I totalled my VR4, the car i was most irresponsible in, swerving for a dead cat at 55mph. Not because i over corrected, or because i panicked, but because of the 4 wheel steering. I jerked the wheel then straightened out in the other lane. The rear wheels are hydraulically control and they tried to compensate and hopped my rear end off of the ground which caused me to lose control.

I guess i could see the farmers feild getting messed up as being a problem, but in DE around where i live and do this stuff people know me and we are like all friends. If something like that happened they wouldnt car too much being they have like 4,000 other acres, and would be worried about my well being.

I could see the emergency thing being a problem, i havent ever really thought about that, but that could happen to anyone who calls 911. What about the little kids who call then hang up, or the old people who call thinking they are having a heart attack and it's just indegestion?

Really everything is just based on credibility. I'm 17 so any accident that happens wouldnt be in my favor. A couple months ago a bunch of my friends and i were meeting at the local shopping center to go to the beach. I was leading since i knew which we were going to. We are all exiting the shopping center where there is a stop sign. There's a brand new cadillac with the Northstar in it waiting in front of me driven by about a 40-50 year old man. Here i am in my riced out vr4 with no mufflers followed by 7 cars full of about 20 teens. They were all skipping school whereas i had just dropped out a few days before. The guy in the cadillac put it in reverse and just slams into the front of my car. It was at about 15mph so it was a pretty good impact.

There are barriers on both sides of the road separating oncoming traffic and the stores for about a 100ft. He would have no reason to back up. If the police had come what would i have told them? I would have had no credibility. Luckily the man got out and came over to me looking at my bumper. Everoyne else began to get out of their car and the man said sorry and left... At least he didnt try to pin it on me.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
i know it's not the same thing, but i didnt think there would be a 300lbs wieght difference between the two.

I understand the ripple effect, but accidents do happen even if you aren't being irresponsible. I totalled my VR4, the car i was most irresponsible in, swerving for a dead cat at 55mph. Not because i over corrected, or because i panicked, but because of the 4 wheel steering. I jerked the wheel then straightened out in the other lane. The rear wheels are hydraulically control and they tried to compensate and hopped my rear end off of the ground which caused me to lose control.
There are a lot of differences between the '85.5+ cars and the earlier models.

If you swerved at 55 mph and lost control it is your fault, not the car's. You have a nice little story about how the car's rear wheel steering caused the back end to "hop", but that's all it is, a story. The immutable laws of physics are against you. The rear steering on the VR4 cannot toss the back end of the car into the air, it functions on the horizontal plane, not the vertical, and while it is "automatic" it is not independant of the front wheels. If the front wheels are straight, so are the rear wheels. The same-phase 4 wheel steering system used in the VR4, furthermore, is not the sort of system that causes drastic oversteer by swining the rear of the car out and making the car pivot about a central axis. The system used by the VR4 causes all four tires to pivot in the same direction, in effect creating a very mild lateral "drift". (Illustration can be found here .) Since the rear wheels are not independant from the fronts, the rear wheels could not ever have tried to "correct" on their own. Only steering input by the driver would cause them to do something wrong.

You lost control. You were not "caused" to lose control. As long as you concoct fanciful sories to mask the fact that your inexperience (why the hell did you swerve for a dead animal?) caused the accident I cannot do otherwise than consider you to be just another kid who thinks he's invincible.

I just hope you grow out of it quickly. I've seen a lot of people and more than one friend get injured or killed because of the same feelings of invincibility.

Aaron
Old 06-21-2004, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: