Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Avother Control Arm Question

I've got a strange problem with my 85.5 944. When I got the car, One of the first things I noticed about the car was that the passenger side tire stuck out of the fender more than the drivers side. Not knowing much about these cars at the time (2-3 yrs. ago), I couldn't figure out why. I have since figured out that the passengers side front fender has been wrecked. Obviously whoever fixed the car put a later model control arm on the car because it is roughly an inch longer that the drivers side control arm. I just put a set of 18 inch turbo twist wheels on it and the passengers side with long control arm works perfect without any spacers, whereas the drivers side needs a spacer or something. My question is that since I need at least one control arm to even out the vehicle, can't I use a long one just like the passengers side? Also, if I get another long arm, I believe I will run out of tie rod for steering. What else was different about the steering from 85.5 to 87 and up? Longer tie rods, tie rod ends? Longer steering rack? Different spindles? Also, what limits the steering?, because the car turns much sharper to left than to the right.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Will work for parts

Send a message via AIM to 944 boy
Hey, I know this one!
You can change the drivers side arm to a late one as well but this changes the effective offset. Also you should then get the longer tie rods, and the upper strut mounts were changed to accept the steeper angle made by the strut. And you may also have to get the later spindle as well. It would be easier and ALOT cheeper to just find a rebuilt early arm and replace it. The alighnment will have to be compleatly redone. What they probibly did was max out the tie rod and uncenter the steering to accomodate the longer arm. I was given an early arm when I went to replace the one in mine and i diddnt realize it until my car had about 30 degrees positive toe. I would recommend trading the late arm with someone with an early arm, 86 turbos had the same lower a-arm i think but someone else may know better.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Damn your fast, I just posted this five min. ago. I'm leaning towards making the later longer control arms work. I've got a hold of two later control arms already, and I got two later inner tie rods, but they don't seem to be longer ( not verified yet). I'm looking to replace whatever I need to get this to work. I just don't like the idea of going with spacers.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: