Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is that LSD I hear?

My early 85 does not have the LSD option code..

I was pulling it into thje garage in reverse tonight, up hill. I accidentaly poped the clutch and wouldnt you know it...

I left 2 real nice tire marks in the drive way.

I know there is no "Posi-track"

but If it had LSD, wouldnt it leave 2 marks vs 1?

Never did the "wheel spin test" because it didnt have the code...so i never checked.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used & Abused

You can produce 2 tire marks w/o LSD.
Only if one wheel had less grip like in a turn will you really see the difference.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
It's probably open. Mine is an open and ALWAYS spins both tires. Even while cornering, 2 black marks all the time. It also behaves just like an LSD. Audi must have known what they were doing when they designed it, because it is quite impressive. Nobody ever believes me when I say it's an open diff, I usually end up putting the car up on jack stands and spinning one tire to prove myself correct.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The spinning wheel test only work on the clutch type lsd, not the Torsen lsd. So you might have one after all, Torsen lsd that is. You either have lsd or an open diff. You can't make an open diff behave like an lsd.

Last edited by mmmbeer; 12-27-2007 at 07:23 PM..
Old 06-21-2004, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It came with " Sport Suspension Package" Whatever that means

Last edited by mambodave; 06-21-2004 at 08:53 AM..
Old 06-21-2004, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mmmbeer
You can't make an open diff behave like an lsd.
Then explain to me why my open diff behaves exactly like a viscous?

Besides, you can weld the open diff if you don't want the slip...
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
Then explain to me why my open diff behaves exactly like a viscous?

Besides, you can weld the open diff if you don't want the slip...
I don't know that it does... I have never seen your car.

A velded diff is no longer a open diff per definition... Go to www.howstuffworks.com and check out how a differential works. You can't engineer a open diff to behave like a lsd without actually making it a lsd (limited slip differential), but then it will no longer be a open diff... get the picture? There are several ways to achieve lsd or even a completely locked diff, but none of them include an open diff.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

All 944s open diffs behave like an LSD. This is my third tranny and all 3 of them have, not to mention I've driven 2 other 944s and they have as well.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Sport suspension means different things depensing on the code. Mine says sport susp but only has front and rear anti sway bars. Everything else is stock.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
All 944s open diffs behave like an LSD. This is my third tranny and all 3 of them have, not to mention I've driven 2 other 944s and they have as well.
What is your definition of behaving like a lsd?

Old 06-21-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

hmmm speaking of LSD and open differentials, when i last had my tranny apart i noticed this same look as in the pic. But i dont have the option code on my car for clutch-type LSD and when on jack stands one wheel goes Foward and other in Reverse. So is that LSD or Open?

and yes im sure of the Picture of clutch-type LSD and my tranny being very similar. so how is the correct way to test it on jack stands or by looking at it? I also asked the transmission repair man if it was LSD and he said "nope".... so now im confussed... too much input from How Crap Works dot Com.

can any one clear my mind, its hazzy

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

mmmbeer-spins both wheels all the time, powerslides, does doughnuts, doesn't rotate like an open diff car while under throttle in a corner, just acts exactly like my buddy's 240sx that has a viscous LSD.

adida-it could very possibly be a worn out clutch type, how many miles are on your car? The pic you posted would be one pussy clutch type. The spring is throwing me, why is it there?

That's a true clutch type

That's a torsen, it just looks retarded...

Last edited by gearhead290; 06-22-2004 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-22-2004, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Adidas first picture looks like an open diff to me, unless that spring in the center does something to limit slip. A open diff will spin both tires when it has grip. If you try putting one tire on ice and one on good grip you will know for sure, the tire on ice will get almost all torque leaving the tire with good traction at a almost standstill. In VERY hard conrnering (ie when the inner wheel is almost off the ground) the outer will on a open diff still get some power, but very little. Try reading about diffs on www.howstuffworks.com as i mentioned above and you will see that a open diff does not always spin on one wheel either on straights or in corners.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

so many types of diffs.... ill double check mine this weekend when i replace my cv joints. last time i had looked in there was a year or two when i striped out half the R&P gear. had the whole tranny redone but not sure if they replaced the differential. i think it looked more like the first pic that gearhead posted. as for the one i posted it was from www.howstuffworks.com in the clutch type lsd page. but ill double check mine.

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 06-23-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Does anybody else see the clutch disks behind the black spider gear?
Old 06-23-2004, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: