Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BlakeEM Send a message via Yahoo to BlakeEM
Exclamation Iím debating on buying 84 Porsche 944, Need some help

First off Iím 23. This would be my first car. I never bothered to get a car and just used public transportation. Because of work I need a car to drive to work so I can start working full time. I looked at many cars. It came down to really wanting a 3rd generation (86-92) Toyota Supra or a Porsche 944. Both I really like a lot.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=163700921&dealer_id=&car_year=1984&make=POR&distance=25&max_price=&model=944&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=&certified=n&address=91941&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=8

Thatís the one. They guy will probably sell it pretty quick if Iím not the one to get it. I will have to choose to get it or not tomorrow morning. Another person got him down to $2600 on it. This is still a little over blue book for the quality itís in. (I think anyway)

My main concern is the cost and trouble to maintain it and making sure that this one was well maintained. I need something reliable, but I also want something that I enjoy driving.

I test drove it and it was totally awesome to drive. I have no complaints.

The engine ran very smooth. It ran surprisingly smooth on the freeway.

Itís the original paint. No signs of accidents, just a few small dints. The upholstery on the driver seat was pretty messed up and would need to be re-upholstered. Everything else looked very good. The knob on the air conditioner was broken, however the air does work. It has a CD player in it and new tiers and breaks. On slow stopping it does seem to vibrate a bit, I was told it could be the rotors. This may be another thing to fix.

No leaks that I saw. I checked the battery and oil and all looked good. (I did lots of research online before hand). The engine seems well taken care of from what I can tell, but it doesnít have any records.

So my question is does this seem worth it and reliable? Would the cost of fixing problems really be much more than a Supra? I donít want to get into a money sink but I am willing to put time and money into it to keep it taking care of, because I really do like the car quite a bit more than even the new cars that I have looked at.

How many miles can I expect the engine to run if itís well maintained?

Iím thinking I should take it in for a check up first, how much should I expect to pay for this? Who should I have do it?
Old 06-20-2004, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used & Abused

See if he has maintenance records. If not, expect to do the timing/balance belts very soon.

You can get well over 200k miles on a well maintained car.

Get an independant inspection done. I'm not from the area but in FL it's about $150-250 but well worth it if there is something majorly wrong that you can't/don't see.

Hope everything works out, welcome to the board

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
This is perhaps the best way I've heard it put:

Fast, Reliable, Cheap - pick any two.

944s are reliable if maintained, which costs $$$. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do a lot of the work yourself and save a LOT of money. If not, I would suggest making friends with Porsche-capable people (not too hard, the community of 944 owners is a pretty good and mutually helpful one). If this doesn't work, I really wouldn't recommend it as a car for you; you'll just end up getting frustrated at the maintenance costs.

DO NOT SKIMP on maintenance on these cars. It WILL come back and bite you on the ass. That said, get the 944; it'll change your life.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Be prepared to drop $1,000 into it immediately after purchase. Unless the current owner can prove (by having the receipts) that the front-of-engine service has been performed within the last 10,000 miles or two years, you will need to have that done. (Depending on the shop and your area of the country, that's $600-$1000.)

Be aware also that a clutch replacement on these cars will run into the 4 digit area as well, so when that comes up it's another $1,000 for labor and $500 on top of that for parts.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-21-2004, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlakeEM Send a message via Yahoo to BlakeEM
I never really worked on cars myself (never owning one) however I think that I would be pretty capable to do a lot of work on it as long as I read up on it enough.

It's an automatic so not sure about a clutch problem.

I was expecting to put around $1000-$2000 into it right away. Also Iíd probably get stuff online to start fixing up what I can do myself.

Iím starting to think this wont be that good of an idea to get for a first car however.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you don't need a car then a 944 is fine, as you wont get too upset when its off the road...

If you're not mechanically inclined and you buy a dud then its going to cost you a lot in labour. Parts themselves are not ridiculously expensive.

I love my car, but i get the subway to work every day so its not an issue if/when something breaks...

"Don't listen to me, I dont know what i'm talking about"
Old 06-21-2004, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by BlakeEM
I never really worked on cars myself (never owning one) however I think that I would be pretty capable to do a lot of work on it as long as I read up on it enough.

It's an automatic so not sure about a clutch problem.

I was expecting to put around $1000-$2000 into it right away. Also Iíd probably get stuff online to start fixing up what I can do myself.

Iím starting to think this wont be that good of an idea to get for a first car however.
It's not a good first car, the maintenance tends to be expensive if you can't do it yourself. And even if you're handy with a wrench you still need all the right tools.

The automatic-equipped 944's are dogs, the things really need the 5-speed transmissions in order to have decent pep. It'll still be a blast in the corners though.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-21-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Get the Supra, 944 is an over glorified peice of *****. It won't be reliable enough to get u to and from work, and it'll cost you as much money as you make.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: