Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Got the low temp coolant switch

Ok
I got the low temp fan switch today...

Haynes says to "Drain" the radiator.

Is that really called for ? The switch is at the top, and its probably not full that high anyway. So what if it loses a little coolant.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

notice where the water level is in the expansion tank, take the switch out when the water is cold, from the top or bottom.
bottom requires removing the splash guard and getting the car up in the air.

replace the temp switch with a new seal, don't over tighten it, connect the wires, fill to the same point on the expansion tank and you probably won't need to bleed it.

it's a 30mm hex and, depends on the individual sae socket if you don't have/can't get one.
it's 1 1/8th/1/2 " dr. i tried a new one from sears/craftsmen and it wouldn't slide over the hex but an older craftsmen worked, maybe thinner walls or the way the inside was cut.

"may the force be with you"
Old 06-21-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks,

Ill need to get it up in the air anyhow..im replacing 1 fan.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

slick if it needs replacing but you don't need to remove the fans/shroud to do the switch from the bottom.

i didn't even unhook the battery.

i've got some rhino ramps, from checker ap and they're great.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

huh...Ill give it a whirl w/out removing. Ive got ramps also.

The driver side fan runs slow compared to teh other. I was thinking i was going out.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

are these 3 or 6 blades.

depends when it runs slow, if your stopped in traffic or when you turn the key off after the car's been at operating temp.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

6 blades.

It seems teh driver side is ALWAYS slow.. Especially compared to the other car i have. It seems both fans on the other car scream when they are on, as did teh 86 i just sold.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i think the ones i got thru here were out of a '86 and i can hear them with the windows and radio volume down inside the cabin.

when i turn the key off i can hear the drivers side fan, which is running at a slower speed until the water temp cools off, then the fans shuts off and if it doesn't it'll pull the battery down.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I changed my thermoswitch and didn't bother draining the radiator - you'll get a bit wet, but so long as you don't lick yourself dry (antifreeze is toxic you know!) you'll be fine! I did bleed it afterwards though.

A note about the low temp fan switch - I replaced my broken stock 92/87degree switch with a low temp switch from Pelican and I've since unplugged that switch and gone back to relying on the a/c knob until i get a new stock temp switch! With the new low temp switch the fans would come on just after the first white line on the temp gauge and lower the temp to just below the gauge and then never ever switch off because it wants the temp even lower. When my old regular temp switch worked the fans would come on a the second (middle) line and switch off again at the first white line - and the car cools itself fine without the fans if it was moving at any speed so it wouldn't even need the fans apart from stuck in traffic. This is on my '84 - so my advice is to save getting wet twice and just buy a stock switch now.

I emailed Pelican what they thought i could do about it, but never heard back!!

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 06-21-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Im replaceing the stock one with a low temp to match the low temp theormostat I already have in with a stock switch. Does not cool well enough.

They must match. if you had problems before, you prob didnt have the low temp thermo, just the switch. Just my guess.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

gotta be:lo, lo for the good cooling.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944imraan
The thermostat seems to have a bigger effect on the overall cooling of the system than the thermofan switch. If you have overheating problems, change this for the low-temp model before you change the thermofan switch to a lower temp.

I have a low temp thermostat in my car. In my car, the stock thermofan switch cools it properly, coming on at 197-198 deg F according to the thermocouple I had in the water temp, and the temp will not go above 195-196 deg F with the fans running.

--my first car
--limited slip differential
--cross drilled rotors
--omnimagnum high-energy ignition
--CB equipped
--laptop installed, seeking GPS chip

--keep the socks away from my car
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Question, does the 924 have a thermostat? I should look at replacing mine, because i put a low-temp fan switch...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brando
Question, does the 924 have a thermostat? I should look at replacing mine, because i put a low-temp fan switch...
Yes, it does, don't all watercooled cars have one? I was having heating problems with the stock 87C thermostat, going over to a 80C thermostat made the engine run a lot cooler. I was recommended a 83C but couldn't find one when I needed it, probably that would have been cool enough.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

supposed to but might not be there if someone removed it.

with no t-stat, the car will run cool and may not ever get up to optimum operating temps which affects how it runs.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
bearone2 - in 90-110 degree weather, is that really an issue??

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

i lived in phx, az for 20+ years and always used a t-stat and temps would get to 116 with a hi of 122 in my time there.

i live on a hill and going down (literally) to work the gage hardly gets to the first line but coming back up, no a/c on, it'll run up to just below the middle line and it'll stay there all the way to the top of the mountain, 10k.

i'm a believer in t-stats.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Alright. I put the low temp switch in. A breez really. Probably the easiest thing Ive done so far.
Heres the problem

The fans dont come on damn it!

I know the fans work, and the relay is good, as is the fuse. Both fans come on when the AC is turned on.

Its a brand new low temp switch. and i know its wired right.

What the hell? I let it idle till warm, got to the third mark, still no fans?????????
Old 06-23-2004, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
i hope you have plugged the wires back in??

Try jumping the two wires that go into the switch together to see if the fans come on then? Did the fans work fine with the old switch?

You can test the switch by heating a pan of water and when it reaches the temp check the resistance with a multimeter.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 06-23-2004, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

yep...i plugged eveything back in.

I traced every wire and made sure it was connected. Must have been a bad connection or something. It suddenly started working.

And Im not sure how you guys could do that without removing the fan assembly???? I had to..I coudnt get my hands in there. And no...I dont have abnormal size hands....lol
Old 06-23-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: