Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Running Hot or so she says

Whenever the car is fully warmed up, it is always one hair shy of the upper orange area at which point the fan kicks on. I know the fan kicks on because I see the volts drop a bit and I can hear it when I am stopped.

I don't think it should be this high. From what I have read most people are smack in the middle (where I wish it were).

I am hesitant to go anyplace too far as it is so high all the time.

Any recommendations? I did replace the thermostat with the 180 degree one. (and boy, that was fun)

I don't run A/C.
The radiator "looks" fine.
The fins are pretty strong and don't bend easily.
No dents or visible damage.
The reservoir is filled to the proper level.

She makes me nervous as I don't want to damage costly parts.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make sure your guage is acurate. Mine wasn't, did the same thing as yours. I swapped out the guage (bought it on e-bay for $5) and it's beein in the middle since.....
Old 06-21-2004, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Is it boiling antifreeze? If not your car is lieing to you, it's ok though, mine is a liar too
Old 06-21-2004, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

The grounds in the dash (the 'reference' for the variable voltage sensing) guages are usually at fault. Clean every ground back to bare metal every time you come across one. There are lots of threads here. Search on 'dash grounds'.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice I will check this. When you were having problems, did the guage climb steadily to its high mark, or did it just start off that way?

When I start the car, its cold and the gauge reflects that, it just climbs and stops right before the orange. It just seems like it is reporting correctly. I would be SO EXCITED if it is just a ground issue and after seeing all the grounds in this car I would not be surprised.

I can't even begin to tell you how much of a "hack" job my car is.
The a/c compressor was held on by one broken bolt. The bracket on the power steering pump is some random piece of metal with holes drilled in it. (I Had to drill more to put on a new belt). The throttle control didn't even have a nut on the top. The list is extensive. I am so amazed that this thing ever ran before me.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've bled the system, cleaned all the grounds I could find. At least 10 of them. No luck.

You'll never guess what else I found (PO must have done this)
One of the fuel injector electrical connections (I'm guessing that is what it is) was not connected. Not good.

That did NOT fix my problem though. My problem is after driving and getting the temp up, I have a cold radiator when I get back. The radiator must be clogged or junk.

I just want it fixed already!!!

I'm going to put in a new thermostat and see if its blocked.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sounds like the coolant is not circulating through the radiator. This means that either your waterpump or the thermostat is faulty. This is a big job. It looks like the gauge is telling the truth. I will not drive the car until the problem is fixed.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think the radiator is the original. I'm betting the radiator is no good.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Anyone - - Is there a decent way to verify the functionality of the water pump without some partial teardown?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

WOOOOO!!!!!

Finally, the temperature is in an acceptable range. The gauge was correct, it was definately running hot.

What I did:

Flushed out the old anti-freeze and ran it out for a while.

Did the Prestone flush additive - Ran for 15 mins with heat on.

Flushed it again. Maybe 5 minutes.

Replaced the thermostat.

Added new coolant 45/55 mixture.

Looks like the old thermostat was a 195 degree or defective. Had a BLAST with that snapring, but I got it in there.

We have success. Now it bounces between the third mark and dead center. When the car is moving it stays a hair above the middle.

I am so excited. I might be able to drive it for at least a week before I break/discover something else. Now I am waiting on the FRWilk chip. ANY COMMENTS on the chip?
Old 07-03-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
plan on changing your waterpump in the near future...i read around and I discovered that the prestone flush stuff kills the bearings in the waterpump...I found out the hard way with my colt as well..dont ask lol.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Feral Cat

I posted this LAST year, and maybe it's worth posting again:

Late 944 Temperature Gauge Calibration

"On Saturday I was stuck in some awful awful awful beach traffic and "noticed" my climbing temperature gauge. Never overheated, not much past the second white line at all but scary, since on the highway the needle is usually lined up in it's Prussian best with all the other needles, exactly 1/2 way up the gauge. So Sunday I spent a delightful day losing nuts and bolts into the nooks and crannies of the 944 motor, breaking washers and going through the Clarks Garage cooling fan diagnostics. It passed, at least I think. I was actually SHOCKED by how much air is moved by the cooling fans on "high", I'm sure the fans have gone to high speed only rarely while I've owned the car.

"I attempted to research what, exactly the various markings on the 944 temperature gauge actually MEAN, and exactly when stuff is supposed to happen.

"Here's what I came up with:

Bottom of broad white line (40C)
Top of broad white line (60C)
Low temp 160F Thermostat opens, if so equipped (70C)
First thin white line (80C)
OE Thermostat opens (86-89C)
Thermo-Switch (92C) ON cooling fan low speed operation
Second thin white line (100C)
Thermo-Switch (102C) ON cooling fan high speed operation
Bottom of red zone (115C)
Top of red zone (call AAA and tell them flatbed needed)

"What I'm concluding from this information is that my car is operating, more or less, as designed.

"I'm also concluding that about 3/4 of the range on the temp gauge is devoted to absolutely useless information, ie. "it's not warmed up yet" and "the engine is melting".

"Only 1/8 of the range of the gauge is devoted to the span between normal operation (cooling fans advance to high speed at 102C) and imminent disaster (the red zone at 115C).

"So my question, the answer to which is probably lost in the Porsche factory records from the 1970s is: "Who's idea was THAT?????" and "WHY?"

So contemplating this during the past year over innumerable bottles of imported German beer, I've come to one final conclusion: It's because it's a lot COOLER in Europe than it is in the USA! BTW, I have the low temp thermostat and the turbo waterpump in mine.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebullet
plan on changing your waterpump in the near future...i read around and I discovered that the prestone flush stuff kills the bearings in the waterpump...I found out the hard way with my colt as well..dont ask lol.
I'm sure I will have to do it soon anyway. I wasn't too worried, but if I can get it to run cooler first, before all of that.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: