Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Help...clutch question

Okay, so we spent 7 hours today trying to pull out the clutch release shaft and got no where. The last thing we tried was using a hydraulic machine to spread the 8mm bolt from the bellhousing...again: nothing. We got some advice from the owner of a shop that works on 944s and learned that we could take the bellhousing off as an assembly by taking off the hex head bolts through the starter hole. Now I can't figure out how to get the snap ring off of the back of the T/O bearing...there is some kind of protective ring around it. My dad is taking it to NAPA tomorrow to see if they have some type of press to try and get it out, but if that doesn't work, anyone know how to go about getting the T/O bearing, or pressure plate off?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
only way i think i know of is on my 924 but i dont think it's the same...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-21-2004, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From Clark's garage:

http://www.clarks-garage.com

Remove the clutch release lever retaining bolt (just above the opening in the clutch housing for the starter).

Thread the long 8 mm thread bolt into the end of the release lever pivot shaft.

Remove the release lever pivot shaft by holding the 8 mm bolt with a pair of pliers and tapping the pliers with a hammer or prying with a screwdriver.

Remove the 4 clutch housing retaining bolts (2 at the top of the housing - 2 at the bottom)

Remove the clutch housing and release lever.

Using the 8 mm cheesehead tool, remove the pressure plate
retaining bolts. Wake up the bolts using BOLT-01, make sure the tool is completely seated in the bolt head, and remains seated in the bolt head at a 90 angle while loosening the bolts.

Remove the pressure plate, release bearing, and clutch plate.

NOTE
If the bolt head strips, drill the bolt head off. Personally, I recommend replacing the retaining bolts with new hardware. Also, if the flywheel is to be resurfaced, you should replace the flywheel bolts as well.

From experience:

Spray PB Blast on the rod (shaft) the clutch release lever rides on. (After many years of togetherness, the steel rod and aluminum bell housing don't like to turn loose of one another.)

The trick is the 8mm bolt. Get one about 2-3 inches long. One end of the clutch release pivot shaft is drilled and tapped. Thread in the new 8mm bolt, get it tight, and use it to grab and pull the shaft out of the housing.

The pressure plate bolt are TIGHT! (another opportunity to use generous amounts of PB Blast) Have your assistant use a pair of vice grips on the outside of the bolt head, while you use the cheeshead, both of you turning at the same time. This will lessen the chance of stripping the cheesehead bolts.

good luck
JM

Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yeah, i used clarks, haynes, and factory manuals when I did it, and tried pretty much everything on the bolt/release shaft...it was not budging.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Another poster either here or on Rennlist had this same problem. The reason to take the bell housing off with the clutch pressure plate still attached is to be able to get to and drive out the shaft.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That was me. I was about two minutes away from cutting the bellhousing in half. I took it off using the pressure plate bolts. I would have NEVER gotten that shaft out.

As far as the c clip on the release bearing I just destroyed it. Are you re-using the pressure plate??? I would not recomend you do that but if money is really tight then I guess you can try. DO NOT under any circumstances re-use the bearing. I would like to point out my pressure plate photos just so you can see what can happen (Very rare mind you)

Clutch is out (LOOK AT THIS)
Old 06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Update, my car is running and I will be able to make it to 944fest. We took the belhousing to the NAPA machine shop and they tried for 30 minutes and could not get the shaft out or the snap ring off. We ended up cutting the snap-ring off with a dremmel. Before when the bellhousing was on the car we used a propane torch to try and break the shaft free, this time we used a larger asedaline (sp?) torch on the inside and it finally broke free. The car is back together and so far runs great. No more shudder!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: