Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Exclamation My pcar is now in OH

well im back at home in florida... i havent slept in 2 days and my pcar is in OH with some potential problems.

i left FL on mondayand drove straight through to dayton OH. on the way the car ran great (KY and TN were awsome at night! i love mountains and these cars) but a problem apeared. i was running the car pretty hard the whole way from FL but it wasnt until i stopped for gas that i noticed something (only 2.5 tanks to get there... and im not taking it easy). the first time the oil light came on after i filled up and started the car. this seemed normal to me as i usually have to put a quart of oil in it about every 3 months. that didnt bother me. but the next time i stopped for gas it was the same thing... and i know i dont have any oil leaks. so i was thinking its either the rings or valve seats. put when the car runs or is started there isnt any smoke, so what do you guys think?

BTW i only saw 2 944s the whole trip. one was on a flat bed (white turbo with yellow graphics on it) and another in middletown oh area on a back road. the second was champaing color with new wheels on it.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What did the gauge indicate when the light came on?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Have you checked the engine compartment for oil spray when running? It's possible that one of the seals is going out and that the engine is spitting oil from the front or rear, but only when there is oil pressure in the system.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-22-2004, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
no oil in the engine bay, but itll be sitting for about a 2 weeks so ill get the see if any drips out... i would prefer that it does because if im burning that much oil thats not good. but the oil presure guage hasnt changed from when i got the car. it was the oil light that blinks, it came on when i filled up with gas.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

have you ever done a compression test? if your rear oil seal is leaking, it could possibly be burned away on your clutch, given it is a standard. also, i once owned a nissan truck on which the valve cover screws always came loose. have you checked those bolts? also, what about your oil pan bolt?
i like to try the simple solutions first
Old 06-22-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Early_944 YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that i think about it! you just described something that i didnt think of yes it is a standard and guess what... i have been having problems with my clutch! the other problem that that i know about but didnt know what it was that at high speeds i smell something burning... oil on the clutch would make that happen! i was going to do a compression test on it when i got up there. but this sounds like it would be the problem, how else do i check the rear oil seal? and it is hard to change?

Old 06-23-2004, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Is your car stranded in Dayton? Is it at a shop? There are a bunch of us around the Dayton area that can help if need be.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 06-23-2004, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

no, im moving up there. its in middletown to be specific. i have 2 cars so i drove one up and i have to drive up again in the other one in about a week

Old 06-23-2004, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
When you get up here permanently, let me know. We have a large group of local 944 guys that get together often. One of the guys lives in Middletown. There is a great P-car mechanic there in Middletown as well. His shop name is Farler Performance.

Good luck!

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 06-23-2004, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Yeah- When I lived in Cincy I went to Farler. He can set you straight.

And the group of guys out there can definitely help you out.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: