Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Just go to the ones in the. . .um. . . "ethnic" neighborhoods - I see guys in there pressure washing stuff all the time; I've even seen guys with engine blocks in the back of pickup trucks degreasing them.

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-05-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Eh... I'd rather stay away from the ethnically inclined washing zones... Same type of area i got my car broken into. I'd rather stay in my less ghetto ethnically inclined area, thankyou.

I actually snagged up a 1300psi pressure washer. Just backed it into the driveway and went crazy on it! I think i've cleaned about 7lbs of Washington-Evergreen-Forest out of my car. I thought it was illegal to take part of the national park back with you?? Anyhow, wonderful tool. You'd be suprised that my wheel wells were actually yellow, and they are now, too!

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-05-2004, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

July 5th and the war zone continues (local officials decided to let ppl to shoot off fireworks on the 4th in town due to the off and on rain and becuase the town didnt put on their own 4th of july firework show)

sounds like a good old war going on outside my apartment.

bangbangbang poppoppop squeeel...popbangbang bang squeeel...Kaboombangbangbangpoppoppoppoppopsqueeel .... kaboom krackle ... etc.etc.etc.

im just waiting for the tanks and fighter jets to roll in

its a pretty neat show right now, i can see pretty much the entire city from my 3rd story balcony nothing but giant colorfull sparklies in the air and a lot of commotion

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 07-05-2004, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I spent the day reading this little thread
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Put the '44 up on ramps and continued the Porsche Rust Prevention Crusade of 2004. I sanded and put POR15 on every bit of reddish brown metal I could find. Swar bar mounts, steering rack, tranny fluid cooling lines (which were surprisingly rusted), bottom side of starter, etc etc. I was amazed at how many bits were badly rusting - especially after I asked the dealer to "fix everything and get her ready for the next 100,000 miles". So now I am on a rust prevention crusade. I even plan to clean all of the electrical grounds and permanently seal them with liquid electrical tape. I threw another coat of high temp silver paint on the muffler. It also allowed for a lot of quality time just lying underneath the car and gazing up at the beautiful german engineering. Laugh if you must, but I find it therapeutic. Try it some time. Really.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Janus - you are making me jealous doing all that POR-15ing...I love the stuff....always comes out great if you take your time.

Almost makes me want to buy a 911 to have more rust to work with

No, really!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Mein Gott!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
Did ya have any CRABS ????
oh, I miss MD crabs..

Did many things, but was lucky enough to never get the crabs.

How are Maryland symptoms different?

But anyways, yes, had TONS of seafood. It actually tasted much different - in a great way - as I'm used to the stuff that you get from a supermarket freezer. Time spent in the bathroom was another indicator....................

Saw many beautiful cars near the harbor area by the Naval Academy. Among them was a PRISTINE white '86 951 with black fuchs that looked like it just drove out of the showroom. A great stock example that you just don't see anymore.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Almost makes me want to buy a 911 to have more rust to work with
Actually, it is my 944 that has the rust (now properly sealed with POR15). My 964 has a factory undertray that protects the bottom bits. When I saw how much rust was on the bottom of my precious 944, I started seriously considering fabricating an undertray for her as well. But then I started to worry about heat damage from the exhaust - plus it would add...you know...weight.

It isn't the chassis that is rusting (it has a rust proof coating), but the tranny fluid lines, auto tranny throttle linkage, suspension mounts, starter, steering rack, belt tensioners, etc etc...even the A/C hose connectors. And the strap that holds the gas tank in place is so rusted it requires replacement. Did the dealer somehow not see the disintegrating strap the holds the gas tank in pace???

Anyway, I could rant for hours about the rust. But instead I cleaned it up. Now my precious 944 (my preeeecioussssss) will last another 100,000 miles. It's a great car, man. Anything to make her happy.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

$1000 for that 911! Pick it up tommorow.

I forgot about the salting the roads thing up north.

If it ever gets the tank I have heard that the 968 plastic tank is a good fit and can be had cheap. The Por-15 should do it though.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Hey gordon! Nice battery in that scrap!

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-06-2004, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JanusCole
Actually, it is my 944 that has the rust (now properly sealed with POR15). My 964 has a factory undertray that protects the bottom bits. When I saw how much rust was on the bottom of my precious 944, I started seriously considering fabricating an undertray for her as well. But then I started to worry about heat damage from the exhaust - plus it would add...you know...weight.

It isn't the chassis that is rusting (it has a rust proof coating), but the tranny fluid lines, auto tranny throttle linkage, suspension mounts, starter, steering rack, belt tensioners, etc etc...even the A/C hose connectors. And the strap that holds the gas tank in place is so rusted it requires replacement. Did the dealer somehow not see the disintegrating strap the holds the gas tank in pace???

Anyway, I could rant for hours about the rust. But instead I cleaned it up. Now my precious 944 (my preeeecioussssss) will last another 100,000 miles. It's a great car, man. Anything to make her happy.
I was having those problems until I started to simply change the oil frequently. The mess created by changing the oil filter coats everything in the entire forward underbelly, ensuring that they'll be no rust in the future anytime soon

I always support any & all use of the almighty POR-15. I just painted my ENTIRE frame/body shell with it on my TR-6 restoration project and its coming along beautifully! Just don't get any on your hands or face; it will stay there for a while. I remember how it looked less-than-professional when I was at a client meeting the next day. Now to adress Sir Lucas..............

1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi

Last edited by Panzer909; 07-06-2004 at 07:32 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: