Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

Poll: Should rammstein even touch his car
Poll Options
Should rammstein even touch his car

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

Red face Prove how smart you are

Now that I have your attention, maybe you can answer me these questions 3:

1) Now that my instrument cluster is out and awaiting the odometer gear in the mail, there's something else I could fix if someone could tell me how. Sometimes when I drive, the speedo stays at 0 for awhile until it finally jumps into place. In a few extreme cases, I've had to whack the dash to get it goin'. Is there something I can do/lubricate to resolve this while its out?

2) My turn signal has never canceled after a left turn. Now that the wheel is off, maybe I should fix this. What part is this that I need to replace?

3) Sputtering- This problem reared its head, then didn't do it, and now does it again. I step on it, rpms climb normally until around 3k and then I get sputters under full throttle, not really wanting to climb. In a more gradual manner, it doesn't happen. I don't think its the turbo, as the gauge shows boost (yes, I know its inaccurate, but its going as high as it always did). People have suggested vacuum leaks. I plan to order a bunch of vacuum hosing (Lindsey sells a 'complete set' for $30. I have no idea where they are going, but should this solve the problem? Also, I will replace the overdue fuel filter. Other thoughts? I notices some water coming from the exhaust when I was revving it in the driveway trying to identify the problem. No smoke from pipe.

Fancifully yours-
Rammstein
Old 07-13-2004, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Well, I already answered question 2:

Turn Signal/Washer Switch Assy w/cruise cntrl, w/headlamp washers, 944 all 2/85-88, no airbag
E-613-508-00 94461350800 $155.45

WHOA!! For $155, I will continue to turn it off with my hand! Jeez, $155.45!!! Maybe someday a junkyard will have one.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
damn and that was the easy one.... it could be bogging because its getting to much fuel...

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I fixed mine the following way (turnsignal)

http://www.arnnworx.com/

And look to left on "turnsignal repair" I did mine and been fine ever since.....
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
Hey I get that same sputter around 3k once in a while and I too have a fuel filter thats overdue.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 07-14-2004, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A vacuum leak would affect the boost. If the boost remains where it is supposed to be, I don't think a vacuum leak is your problem. Besides, a vacuum leak has little effect at full throttle other than screwing up the boost control. So much air is going into the engine, a small leak is dwarfed. Aside from boost control, a vacuum leak manifests itself at idle, not full throttle.

First thing I'd do is replace the fuel filter or at least remove it and try blowing through it in the direction of fuel passage. There should be little resistance. Don't smash your knuckles getting it off. Don't get fuel in your ear, etc.....

Next, I'd take a good look at the spark plugs and wires. Remove all plugs and compare them. The cylinder that is misfiring probably will have a different colored electrode tip.

What about a malfunctioning fuel injector? How are your distributor/rotor?
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 07-14-2004, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

Lawrence- Thanks for all the advice. I will check my spark plugs and comeback with the results. I also will have to check the distributor and rotor, although I do not know what to look for. Perhaps I will return with photos. Hopefully none of the fuel injectors are malfunctioning. I just replaced one and resealed the rest, along with cleaning them with my ingenius method (actually, the method given by Juvy in the technical articles section).

So- I will check all the ignition related materials and plan on replacing the fuel filter.

More updates to come.

Last edited by rammstein; 07-14-2004 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-14-2004, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Frankydoom- I read the website you posted. So is this implying that the fix is to wrap the tab on the steering wheel with electrical tape and it will be fixed?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

yes rammstein - I did it to mine about a year ago and is still working .... cheap and easy fix until you can buy the new replacement part ....... I did used quite a lot of tape - once the steering wheel is off (asuming oval dash) it will all make sense ...
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Food for thought on the sputtering problem over 3k...

1. It may actually be the coil wearing out (this happened to me) new coil, no problems

2. Vacum valve on the back of the engine goes bad often and can affect your fuel injection too run too lean or too rich

Hope you solve the issue
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

1. Clean all of the electrical contacts on your speedometer. While you are at it, clean the test of the electrical contacts on your cluster - as well as the ground behind the cluster.

2. You can use electrical tape, or you can order a new part, or if you aren't attached to your headlight washers, I have one used.

3. Check your vacuum lines - also check your air-time valve.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Since Mother Juvat has spoken, I can be of no use to this thread (cause I am dumb as a rock in comparison). BUT, I wanted to contribute anyway so:
LOLOL @ Poll results
btw, I voted yes to you are ok (don't prove me wrong)

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: