Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Alarm for 944???

I think I really messed up. I found over $6 in change, a lipstick, a ballpoint pen, and a key when I removed the front seats of my 944 to recover them. I tried the key in the ignition, passenger door, and hatch. I decided that the key did not go with this car, so I tossed it.

Yesterday, I moved the car out into the driveway so the wrecker could pick it up (see post "Smoking 944"). I was locking the doors for the first time when I noticed that you cannot lock the door with it open. No problem. I closed the door and tried to stick the key in the lock just behind the door. I didn't fit. I then stuck the key in the right lock and locked the door. I came inside and told my wife that there is some crazy extra lock behind the driver's door.

Today, I was reading the 944 buyer's guide that is posted in the Pelican Parts website. It mentioned that if there is a keyhole behind the driver's door that this is the alarm. Before I spend money having a key made, what type of alarm is this? Does it have a kill switch? Does it detect a shock to the car? Does it blow the horn if someone opens the door?

Thanks,

George
Old 07-15-2004, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Most techs will tell you not to muck with it. There is the possibility that, due to age, it could malfunction and cause a "never start again" problem.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well I felt pretty dumb for tossing the key. I finally found it. It doesn't fit the alarm lock either. Oh well, probably a good thing.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's too big for that. Of course the seller didn't supply me with a key for that either.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The alarm sounds the horn when you open the doors/truck/hood or try and start the ignition - I believe it also kills the DME. I don't think it detects any shocks or such (probably not a bad thing considering it is 20 years old). I always set mine - Yes i would be screwed if it did the 'never start again' trick, but i would also be screwed if someone pinched the car since i didn't have the alarm set. Since i park it on the street overnight i opt for trusting the 20yr old german engineering as opposed to trusting the San Francisco joy riders!

Also, i never knew the glovebox had a lock - will have to investigate it later - is it behind the porsche shield? (i noticed in lambic2000's pic in 'dash caps' thread the shield was cock-eyed). Not that i have a key, but it's nice to know these things.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: