Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newb question about suspension

Alright, I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn about the physics of handling and so on and so forth. So with that in mind, is there such a thing as suspension being TOO stiff for daily driving? I always thought that for better handling (and worse ride quality) the stiffer the better. Although my formerly tracked 944 handles excellently, I have noticed that it occasionally slips a LITTLE bit on neighborhood roads (not at excessive speeds, I'm not racing here, probably doing about 35-40 mph). Would I get better grip and handling if i loosened up the suspension a little? When I push down on the fenderor rear bumper, there is almost NO play in the fender area (maybe an inch or two) and essentially none in the rear. I'd love to hear any relevant info too.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are times that you can go too stiff. What happens is the road surface isn't as smooth as the track and the wheels on a car with a stiff suspension and limited travel may have problems keeping the tires in contact with the road. Stiff (read race car) suspensions can beat the crap out of you on a road car.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Having a too stiff suspension, will also vibrate the living hell out of the car. In other words, it will sound like a bunch of little mice in there after a period of time.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
You also have to remeber to match a new stiffer suspension with the right dampners (shocks). Stiffer springs/torsion bars will react at a different rate (spring rate), if your shocks can't keep up, you get wheel skip.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you have 400 lb springs or stiffer, and a BIG sway bars, you can drive diagonally over a short/steep crest, or into a 'vee' (like into a drive way) and 'high center' the car.

I can roll my car into a 'vee' in the driveway, with the right front starting to go up a little hill, and the left rear still on the flat. When the seperation line between hill and flat runs from the left front to the right rear...the car is balanced on the right front and left rear, and the other two tires come off the ground.

Hard to explain, but a 'stiff' suspension keeps the body from traveling to far away from the wheels, as well has keeping the wheels close to the body.

If you have steep hills, or valleys, something like this may be happening to you.

Springs, sway bars, and shocks must be matched correctly, as 'lousailor' pointed out.

JM

Old 07-16-2004, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I do have a lot of steep hills in my neighborhood. Thanks for all the info guys. As far as I know the springs and shocks are correctly matched...But I didn't install them. I'm going to look into loosening up my suspension a little bit now...There's no need for such a stiff ride off the track, even if it does improve handling a LITTLE, and especially if it makes it worse.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

like jm951 says -- too tuat a suspension means too little suspension travel to absorb bumps, potholes, undulations, expansion joints, whatever. While we expect some imperfections on our everyday streets, well-maintained tracks and road-courses are smooth as glass, so less suspension travel is needed to keep the tires in full contact with the road.

'94 Mazda Protege 125K miles (Daily Driver, RallyCross Beater, POS)

RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."
Old 07-16-2004, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: