Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

is it possible to have water damage on a 84 DME?

ive been having a no start problem with my car. it all began happening after i drove through some (as in a foot or more) of water. ive heard of water damaging the DME but since mine is under the steering column i thought this was unlikely
also, the morning after i noticed the battery tray area was full with an inch or two of water.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's certainly possible if you're Ted Kennedy. Though he specializes in Oldsmobiles.

'94 Mazda Protege 125K miles (Daily Driver, RallyCross Beater, POS)

RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."
Old 07-16-2004, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The first part of the car to see deep water is the crank pulley. Then the balance shaft belt. The belt makes the best water pump. Throws water all around inside the belt cover. This gets into the back side of the dist and is "pumped" through the vent hose into the air box (if you still have one).

Hopefully the dist floods and the car dies before there is sufficent water in the air box to hydro lock the engine.

Another point of contention in the connections to the fuel pump. If these are bad a good dose of water will point this out.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bought a 83 944 that would start and go dead. After replacing most of the sensors, etc. I decided to remove the DME(computer) from under the dash. First thing I noticed is that the heads of the screws that holds it together were rusty. Took it apart and water ran out. The problem was that rain water off of the windshield found a hole in the tray and dripped into cabin, on top of DME. Replaced it and car ran fine. I also fixed the hole.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Quote:
Originally posted by Drover
It's certainly possible if you're Ted Kennedy. Though he specializes in Oldsmobiles.
hahah! Golden dittohead award for my new friend Drover!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton Horne
I bought a 83 944 that would start and go dead. After replacing most of the sensors, etc. I decided to remove the DME(computer) from under the dash. First thing I noticed is that the heads of the screws that holds it together were rusty. Took it apart and water ran out. The problem was that rain water off of the windshield found a hole in the tray and dripped into cabin, on top of DME. Replaced it and car ran fine. I also fixed the hole.
Bet that 83 had been in a flood. Or at least the DME. Any hole in the tray (I've seen where they occur) would have dripped water on your left foot not your crotch.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
The first part of the car to see deep water is the crank pulley. Then the balance shaft belt. The belt makes the best water pump. Throws water all around inside the belt cover. This gets into the back side of the dist and is "pumped" through the vent hose into the air box (if you still have one).

Hopefully the dist floods and the car dies before there is sufficent water in the air box to hydro lock the engine.

Another point of contention in the connections to the fuel pump. If these are bad a good dose of water will point this out.
fortunately i had read one of your posts from awhile ago and the tube from the timing belt cover to the air box was already disconnected.

i need to take a good look at the car when i have a day off from work. just trying to get prepared so i know what to look at when i get out there
Old 07-17-2004, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: