Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Radio install

Does anyone know where I can get an install kit for my '87 944? I really do not want to cut the original wiring.

Thanks,

GHEN
Old 07-16-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
crutchfield
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
circuit city might have one.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

second crutchfield. on my early it only came with a kit for wiring in the SPEAKERS, not the harness. don't know about the late.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
my '88 came with the blaupunkt reno (tape player) as stock.

i had it replaced with an alpine cd player without cutting any of the original wiring.

a local audio shop (magnolia hi-fi) was able to do this with an adapter they provided for free when i bought the new radio.

i also heard crutchfield supplies this adapter as well, but don't have any first hand experience with it.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I bought my stereo from crutchfield, and it came with the adapter

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Thanks. I went to Best Buy, they said "no". Crutchfield's site didn't mention the adaptor (it just showed an EZ fit icon), I'll call them instead.

I am going with one of the newer model Blaupunkts, so as to keep the Porsche gods as happy as possible

GHEN
Old 07-17-2004, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you buy the head unit from Crutchfield, they will give you the wiring adapter free. You can also buy just the adapter from them, but I don't think they have it listed seprately on their web site -- you might have to call. I bought a new Blaupunkt tape player for my early '85 from Crutchfield several years ago, and it came with the speaker wire apaters as well as an adapter for the harness.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by GHEN
I am going with one of the newer model Blaupunkts, so as to keep the Porsche gods as happy as possible

GHEN
i thought exactly the same way when i went shopping to upgrade my stereo, then i found out the sad truth. blaupunkt used to be one of the best in the industry. lately they've gone downhill, like way downhill. if you read some of the hi-fi enthusiast reviews and such you'll see lots of comments about it.

http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/audio/Number/1112441/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

it's really sad when you see brand new blaupunkt models being sold at closeout and bargain-basement electronics stores for like $20 today when they used to command ten times that much in the 80's.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
i thought exactly the same way when i went shopping to upgrade my stereo, then i found out the sad truth. blaupunkt used to be one of the best in the industry. lately they've gone downhill, like way downhill. if you read some of the hi-fi enthusiast reviews and such you'll see lots of comments about it.
You know its funny you mention it. I am in no way an audiophile, half the time I drive with the radio off, but even I have noticed that the name Blaupunkt doesn't resonate with the same glister that it used to. It IS to bad, especially from a German company.

I'll post when it goes in, and let y'all know how it turns out.

BTW, CRUTCHFIELD ROCKS!! Ordered about a 1/2 hour ago. Excellent customer service, very knowledgeable.

GHEN

Last edited by GHEN; 07-17-2004 at 03:41 PM..
Old 07-17-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I have an "upgraded" Blau CD in my 944. To be honest it sounds like crap, my mazda stock system sounds 10 times better. BUT it does look correct, has the orange display and its not like I really care what it sounds like.

Germany has never been the home of the audiophile.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: