Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hesitation, intermittant start, etc.

My car is an '87 944S with hesitation, and sometimes when I crank it, it starts and dies immediately. If I keep trying to start it it after 3-5 times it will eventually stay running. It is usually hard to start when the engine is cold and the car has been sitting in the hot sun. I've replaced the cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and associated vacuum lines, checked fuel pressure, cleaned the electrical connections to the AFM and adjusted the wiper track inside the AFM to run on a fresh track. I also cleaned the connections to an electrical connector beneath the drivers side head light. The car always hot starts well. Sometimes when I'm driving the tachometer will drop to zero and the engine feels like it dies then it comes alive again immediately. This happens so fast that if you blink you'll miss it. Sometimes the engine does this when I'm at a stoplight and it will usually die but it always re-starts. Also the idle is high. It idles warm or cold at 1100 rpm and sticker in the engine compartment says it should idle at 840 +or- 40. What could this be? The temp sensors maybe? anyone know where they are located? Thanks for any help on this.
'78 928 w/ 13K miles (5 speed)
'75 914 2.0
Old 07-17-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check the hall sensor on the end of the cam housing. Also check the ignition module.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Where is the ignition module and how do I check the hall sensor? Thanks
'75 914 2.0
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ignition module is the small plastic thing attached to the coil. Should be close to the coil under the hood.

Need to check the factory manuals for testing these.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I'll check them out. Anyone have the factory manuals that they can check the specs on these two things and post them here?
'75 914 2.0
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did you find the hesitation problem yet?

My 86 na is doing the same thing you described. Everything completely dies and then comes right back.

I replaced my alternator because of bad bearings and the problem seemed to go away for about a month. Then today it took several tries to get it started. I then drove around to make sure it was going to run. After about a mile, the hesitation happened again.

The car had been setting for a few days. It also had a fresh tank of gas.

Could I be lucky enough to just have a bad tank of gas?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Checked some more posts on this subject. DME relay came up a lot.

Went out and cranked it. Nothing. Pulled DME relay. Whacked it a few times. Put it back in. Fired right off.

I think I'll go get a new relay
Old 11-11-2004, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, my problem turned out to be very simple- the ignition wire between the coil and cap.
'75 914 2.0
Old 11-12-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: