Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
ack! oil pressure oddities starting up

For the last couple days my oil pressure has been extremely high (4.5 to 5 bars) until warmed up, then very low out-of-gear at a stop when running normally.

I started noting my oil usage more closely in the last week. Very little consumption whatsoever after 400 miles. I may have overestimated my previous usage at 1qt/600 miles. I need to watch it more closely.

Anyway, i just ordered some things for a tune up (plugs, filters, all that good stuff) and will be having my coolant flushed quick-like. And am about to put 10w40 QuakerState oil in, instead of the 10w30QS i'm running now. I don't know if my tune up will affect any of the other stuff, but it's all due anyway, so I'm grouping it together.

Am I just overreacting to how the car acts in hot (80-95deg) weather, or might I have an issue here?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

First off, what is "low"?

These cars at idle will drop to 1 - 2 bar of oil pressure - especially in hot weather.

When itis hot, switch to 20W50

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-17-2004, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
your idle speed will also have a bearing on this reading. i believe that normal idle is 900, give or take. mine is set at 700, dont know why, but stinking hot, it was around 1.5-2 bar, with 5 at start up. if i held rpms at 1k, then oil p was 3.5 bar.
since changing the bearings, stinking hot, pressure is 3 bar at 700rpm, and at 900, its nearly 4.
as long as you still have normal readings at speed, i think you are ok. in the handbook, it says 4 bar at 5k. i'm willing to bet almost everyone here has that{4 bar} anywhere over 3k.
if you read posts on here all the time, you kinda develop an almost"sh$$t, somethings going wrong here" attitude!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
First off, what is "low"?

These cars at idle will drop to 1 - 2 bar of oil pressure - especially in hot weather.

When itis hot, switch to 20W50

AFJuvat
It does drop to 1 bar, but on its way it bounces to .5 and makes the light turn on for a second. Am I just paranoid?

bigyagi:
Quote:
if you read posts on here all the time, you kinda develop an almost"sh$$t, somethings going wrong here" attitude!
yeah, I think i probably need to stop reading everyone else's problems.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok, no one should ever use 10w-40 oil of any kind. most respectable oil companies will not make the 10w-40 blend. i would suggest 15w-40 rotella shell. it comes highly recommended

screw the 20w50 and go straight 90. its an old engine.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: