Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Entering the porsche world.. (long post)

OK. So, I'm 16 years old, some people may think it's stupid that I want to get a porsche at my age, but I don't think it is..

Right now I drive a 92 Nissan Maxima which I recieved for free, and that car is absolutely amazing.. but I want a porsche for enjoyment driving, etc... again, this may sound wierd that I'm 16 and thinking about having two cars.. and I guess it does, but that's the way I feel.

Anyway, I have no qualms at all about working as much as needed to pay for the car, pay for parts(I plan to do as much work as possible on it myself) and whatever else.

I don't care about going fast, or racing, or anything like that.. I just want a fun car to drive... I've read that the 944 is a really fun car to drive, and a couple of weeks ago I got to experience it myself when I test drove one at a local dealer.

Since then I've spent most of my nights after getting home researching and reading 944 buying guides... So now I'd like to get some advice from some of you guys(and girls?) about it. I'm not quite sure what I should expect to pay, I'm trying to keep it under 4 or 5 thousand...

I don't mind if the car needs some work, as long as it's something I can do myself(even if it's a challenge) and isn't something extremely expensive(from what I've researched, clutch jobs are awful price wise, among other things)

Basically if I can get a point in the right direction, and some tips, I'd really appreciate it.

(Also, feel free to let me know if you think the fact I want a porsche at my age is ridiculous)

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Not ridiculous at all. There are a few P-car owners around your age here.

I would get the best example you can afford. Service records would be good along with a PPI before buying.

Good luck with your search...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-17-2004, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
Not ridiculous at all. There are a few P-car owners around your age here.
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel... Thanks.

Anyway, here's one I was looking at that's pretty far away...

This is what the seller's description says:

1983 Porsche 944 (Classic)
Runs excellent(mint in + out)
103,930 miles
(5,000 or B.O.)

I didn't have a chance to take a really good look at it, but from what I saw it did seem to be in really good condition.. I'd have to take an involved look at it and drive it and whatnot, but it seems like it should be good.. My friend inquired about it, since he lives close, and the seller said he'd go much lower than 5,000...

Last edited by Clowd; 07-17-2004 at 11:20 PM..
Old 07-17-2004, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

WELCOME.....Clowd, sounds like you are on the right track. These cars are a great to drive and there is a large following as you have probably found out. But be carefull in your purchace and have it checked thuroughly. There is alsot of knoledgable people here more than willing to help. As "FR Wilk" noted the $5000 is high on an 83, would need to be a very clean car have a clean PPI, maint. records and a good interior and paint.

..Please add your location in your profile. You never know there may be someone here local for assistance. !
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 07-18-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Second that. Price is a little high for an 83, but you're in no way going in the wrong direction. I'm only a few years older than you and have driven my 944 for only a few weeks, and I already know I want to own one for the rest of my life. Truely an amazing car, better in every way than the 93 Grand Marquis I was driving (except the back seat is a little small..). Anyway, take your time in looking around (and on ebay, there are some great deals to be had there if you're willing to deal with the distances involved). Hey, you might even get a turbo. Make sure you check out the differences in the interior etc between the early and late models. I prefer the late but I have an early, others prefer the early but have lates. I don't mind at all though, and someday I can get one of each (i hope). Also, ask about the belts and water pump, as well at the clutch...Sounds like with only 100k miles on it the clutch is the original rubber-centered one, which is just asking for an expensive (or time intensive) clutch job pretty soon.

Please do add your location. I've found VERY significant price differences between the east coast (me, and prices are high) and the west coast (seems like everyone else, and the prices are much lower).
Old 07-18-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Hey I got mine when I was 15 and it took me a year and a half to get her ready for the road, I picked my 924S up at a junk yard for $800 it had thrown a rod threw the side of the block, SO I picked up a short block and started my rebuild from there. I didnt know much at all about Porsche's when I started, Hell I didnt even know about PELICAN or the PCA, All I had where a good set of tool, the Haynes manual and my dad who back in the day rebuilt JAG motors, I say go for it, even if it needs alot of work, your gonna earn alot and fall in love with the car even faster.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ernestedward, I was always told buying a car on ebay is a bad idea?I'll take a look and try to find something at least reasonably local though.

Last edited by Clowd; 07-18-2004 at 09:37 AM..
Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So I was thinking about that 83 944 I saw, and after hearing that $5000 is high for an 83, I decided to check out out what the blue book value is..

I couldn't get a value for 83, but I could for 84, and assuming it's in absolutely perfect condition(which it probably isnt) it's still only listed at $2,010.

If I tell the seller about this, and ask him to go that much below his asking price, do you think I will have any luck? Will he be insulted?

Some pictures:

http://www.ueak.net/chayes/Image06.jpg

http://www.ueak.net/chayes/Image08.jpg

There are more but I'd have to edit them(I doubt this guy wants his phone number and/or license plate broadcast over the internet)

Last edited by Clowd; 07-18-2004 at 05:17 PM..
Old 07-18-2004, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used & Abused

IMO $3000 is a more reasonable value. Also, age doesn't really make a difference on whether you should own a P-car or not. It's all a matter of maturity and capability.

E-bay is (another IMO) a great pricing tool at the very least. Buying a car on e-bay is some what hit and miss in that sometimes the sellers pull out early.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My only problem with capability is paying for insurance.. Even if I just get liability it's going to be sky high($2500+ from quotes I have recieved)

I honestly do not mind working two jobs during the summer to pay for insurance... The only real challenge I have right now is finding a good 944... That red one I posted pictures of will be my best bet for now, I think. I'll have to give the guy a call tommorow.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Here you go...

I love everything about this car...especially the color/wheels/general look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484520588&category=6434

You can look to spend roughly $1200 to ship her to you, but I think she'd make a great car to start with...I want her, myself...

~also~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484222754&category=6434

I like this one as well...not as much my style as the red one above, and she's got a reconstruct title...but she's in decent shape (appearance wise) and she's closer to you.

~another~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484540410&category=6434

This one would make a great basket-case. A tranny swap can be difficult if not propperly prepared, BUT it is doable and a great challenge. It's not hard, but it is time consuming. Also....the car is going to sell for cheap. You could buy another tranny, swap them, and sell the car for close to $1000 profit.

~yet another~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484630129&category=6434

Very nice looking car...and at a great price for an 89 right now...and is the hottest color-scheme of any sports car (inho)...but agian, probably close to $1200 to ship.

Point is...there's a lot of them out there waiting to be sold...especially in New England. They're not hard cars to work on, as I've gathered, and they don't need much in the way of care. Treat them nice, they'll do the same to you. But they're also like a child: children get cuts and scrapes from time to time that can be fixed with neosporin and a bandaid...but the doctor's gonna rape you if the child breaks an arm or something.

My advice to you, beings you have a daily driver, is to look long and hard and to do one of two things:

One: Buy a basketcase that you know will need work. It'll be cheap, as expensive as you want it to be, and will be a great introduction for you to the world of Porsche.

Two: Save up and buy an S2 or something. Spend some money on a car that you know will be hard quality.

I personally am trading my BMW for a 87 944. It'll be my first porsche and I'm using the car as just that...my introduction to the Porsche.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-18-2004, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Whoa I really like that first one.. But how can I trust it without looking at it and driving it myself?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You can't. The best you can do is contractual agreements. You can only take the ad for what it says and the ad is legally binding. There are pelican owners in that area you could possibly ask to give it a look, as well.

Only things you really have to look at for character are the owner's near-perfect feedback and comments. you hear a lot of stories about how someone lost their ass to a purchase because they did business over the internet and got ripped off...only other thing you have for reassurance in knowing that 1200 cars are sold on ebay daily, and how many bad stories have you heard?

I really like the first one, too...a lot. If I had been able to sell my BMW out right, I would have gotten it.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My car knowledge isn't all that expansive.. but isn't 130,000 miles a lot for a 4 cylinder engine?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

mileage isn't biased to the number of cylinders. Displacement does seem to give a little attribution to it...but not a lot.

130k on a 20 year old 2.5l Porsche? Not really all that big a deal.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hmm... that's good to know..

I'd put some serious consideration into this one if shipping costs weren't so much, and if I had more time(auction ends in less than 24 hours)
Old 07-18-2004, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That's the thing...tomorrow there will be one very similar or just like it on. There's no rush.

No matter what anyone says, there's a lot of these cars out on the market. They're not rare. They're not hard to find. There's more and more of them being made available every day. This is why you need to do your research...why you need to make sure you approach this intellegently and with a level head.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Take your time, your age isn't a problem. Some 16yr olds shouldn't be allowed to drive a lawn mower, much less a Porsche.

As for the 944, there are tons of them out there and the prices are all over the map. Some folks think just because of the P badge, it's worth a lot of $$, but in realistic terms, an early 944 in near perfect condition would top out at $5k, and that's in near perfect condition. The KBB, and NADA aren't really good guides for pricing/value as there are fluctuations due to time of year and area of the country. There are also delusional sellers. For ex, there's a 84 auto near me for sale at $4.8k, this car has been poorly repaired and painted after what looks to be at least 3 accidents. The interior is a dog bed, and it's an automatic. Combine those few details, and I wouldn't spring for over $250 to haul it off and all I'm interested in is the engine. So, take your time and try to get someone knowledgable in the area look at a car for you. Also, if you can go yourself, look at as many as you can personally, even if you have no intention of buying. It will give you a better idea of what a good car should look like. Finally, miles really aren't an issue on these cars if well kept. There's a guy over on Rennlist with nearly 350k miles on his and it looks and runs great. It's all about how well the car was cared for, and that includes maintenence. Keep looking and learning and get a car you'll be happy with. Just don't start asking any questions about how to turbo a non turbo car.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I was 16 when I bought my 924, but I wanted a porsche since I was 6. Im 20 now and have 2 and I am looking for another. 16 is a good age to drive a Porsche as long as you are responsible to own and enjoy it.
85.5 944 Sold
78 924 (first car) RIP
Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hmm.. when I was about 6 I remember getting a toy model 944... and that's when I started wanting one...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: