Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
Probs with the 944 already

Car hasnt been on the road yet since I got it, due to a bad rack, or so the previous owner says. I pull the rack out of the car, and have it rebuilt, and it turns a little smoother than before, which gets me to thinkin that maybe the steering rack wasnt the problem (steering wheel was VERY hard to turn). So after 4 days of straight rain, I finally get outside to poke around under the hood. Upon inspection of the steering link, the upper joint is fine, and swivels around, but the bottom one refuses to move unless manhandled with great force. Always something else. I gotta see what they can do about rebuilding this as well (I paid $130 to have my rack rebuilt, got new inner joints and the shaft polished, she moves like a dream now).

Who knows...if they can fix this as well, it might be worth putting up, if the price is significantly cheaper than buying a whole new link. Ive been working a mechanic for almost 4 years now, and I always try to rebuild or repair something before having to replace it (cept for those one time things all the timing belt commodities..I dont skimp on those.)

That and the dam oil pressure sender went, because i let the car idle for more than 30 minutes, and revved it a few times, and the oil gauge doesnt come down below 4 .

Anyone else have steering problems?
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
if youidle the engine for 30 minutes the oil pressure sender goes bad? WTF?

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-18-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used & Abused

I've burnt out the steering column bearing. Does that count?

I can grip the steering wheel and roll it around about 1/4".

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

nah i never looked at it really, but I noticed it was a little higher than usual....so i disconnected the wires and the gauge plopped to 0. Also when i turn the ignition on, instead of reading 0, it reads around 1...with the car not running. So time to order one from pelican lol. I havent screwed the bearing, and as i turn the wheel with no rack on it, it turns nice and easy.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

an unprofessional opinion of the oil pressure guage problem. it could just be a bad ground. there isn't a lot of voltage in the dash components and most times the current will seek ground through some way or another, even if it means back feeding through a guage. just a suggestion though
Old 07-18-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by idontknow
I've burnt out the steering column bearing. Does that count?

I can grip the steering wheel and roll it around about 1/4".
Check the steering link u-joints too.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
bluebullet, Expect to go through all of the front suspension. If one item is worn out expect that most of the rest are too.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well i have the haynes manual, and I checked all the grounds, and they are all clean and tight. I got lucky on the front end tho. from what it appears, the previous owner just had new control arms put in (they are very very clean compared to the rest of the underside, and the balljoints are very tight on them, not all loose like my busted ones on the colt were before i replaced them). I drove the car up and down the block before i took the rack out (it was VERY hard, good thing my block is a dead end) and i put it up sideways at angles on people's driveways, hit bumps in the road, and there is no knocking or squeaking at all that would indicate a bad balljoint or a worn bearing atop the macpherson strut. Im hoping I lucked out on the car, because the owner maintained the motor and the drivetrain (have records) but the interior needs work bad (seat switches only work one way, and the back seats and the trunk carpet is pretty shot) and the paint could use some refreshing). Ive been talkin to a few ppl, and I should have a deal go through within the next two weeks to get all the parts I need from one person.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Let me know if the you need anymore parts. I have a ton
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Used & Abused

"Check the steering link u-joints too."

Would that cause the up-down and side-side play at the wheel? This isn't a rotational play I've got..

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If the lower bearing on the steering shaft is bad them most likely the u-joints in the steering link are bad too. I'm working on a less costly replacement than the $300 for the steering link.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

what does it mean if when you turn on the ignition the gauge pegs out at 5?

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
that means the signal is shorted out either through the sender or signal wire. Or your guage is broken.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-27-2004, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: