Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
plug wires spent?

The wire leading from my ignition to my distributor is, well, take a look for yourself:

On the left is my distributor wire, on the right is MikeCT's distributor wire. What is causing this?!? Do i just need to replace those wires, or is there something more devious going on?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-18-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

OEM part ?

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 07-19-2004, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
jacobs wires
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-19-2004, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How often do you wash your motor - looks like rust.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You are using after market wires. Buy a set of proper Beru wires and you will not have this problem.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
will do, SoCal. I never should have doubted you in the first place (about 3 years ago)

So should I assume that everything is okay with my ignition system besides the wires?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Its not because its aftermarket wires, Im running the same wires and I have had them for 3 years and NO problem, It looks to me that you got some moister under the plug or it wasnt snapped in all the way making it arch.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Same here. About a year so far with the Jacobs Omni and wires. I use a generous dab of dielectric grease in each of my connections to keep moisture out (learned the hard way with my OEM set-up). I even use the grease on all my underhood wire connectors just to be sure. Is that the connection at the top center of the distro cap or the coil?

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
distributor
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
CJ,
Are you running the stock ignition or are you boosting it?

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-20-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
stock
Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've been running stock connectors since I bought the 83 944 in 85. I've replaced the wire parts once; rotor and cap a couple of times. I've never had any spark problem. It still runs the stock coil.

If you have replaced the stock coil with a "hotter" system and the wires with ones with the cheap folded metal ends you are just asking for trouble.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Like I said, I'm running the Jacob Omni Magnum sysytem with their wires and haven't had any associated spark problems. I was using Autolite plugs, but was using them up pretty fast. I'm using NGK now, but if they are similar I may switch to standard Bosch (Jacob's recommends standard copper core plugs vice platinum or other special plugs that are diesigned to help a week OEM system). A burnt connection like CJ's is probably due to moisture, a bad connection in the plug end, or something else of a material nature. Any decent plug wire set will stand up the the OE ignition system with no probs.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-20-2004, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: