Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Brake Rotor upgrade? Turbo brakes?

I want to upgrade the brakes this winter with some cross drilled rotors, and I'd like some advice on who to go with. I was initially looking at the Zimmerman rotors but a quick google search shows that they aren't so hot. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket rotors, either who NOT to go with, or who's rotors worked great? My car sees a lot of heavy braking so I want something that can (and will) handle the (ab)use.

Like a lot of other NA owners I was thinking about the 951 brake upgrade, but besides the definate cool factor, will it increase braking performance enough to justify the price? The stock rotors/calipers and aftermarket track-duty pads stop me pretty well as is.

Has anyone had any experience with Performance Friction brakes? I shot them off an email to price rotors, calipers and pads.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Yes I am running Hawk HPS compound pads with cryno treated slotted rotors. I love the pads, they work great and I havent had a problem with the rotors, no worping or fading. I work the brakes really hard so I think this setup would be just fine for what you want. As for the 951 brake upgrade I dont know, I have never been in a car that has had it done.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
The biggest problem with the 951 upgrade is that you either need to get a custom bracket, or replace the entire front spindle to mount the turbo calipers. I'm in the process. The biggest advantage is the four pistons per caliper, vice the one with the sliding frame of the std NA set-up. Remember when it comes to rotors, drilled only really improves cooling, where slotted helps resurface the pads during repetative track use. Check out Brembos site for a good discussion on brake systems. http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Performance/
For street/AX use the stock set-up is fine, if you're planning on more upgrade but be careful that the pads don't destroy the rotors (try to match them).

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-19-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You'll also need 16" wheels. The '86 turbo was the only 944 that came with 16"ers with the correct offset.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: