Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
finding OT mark on flywheel?

HI I am still trying to find my OT mark on the flywheel to make sure my timming is right. turning over the engine by hand while straining the rest of my body to see the hole in the top of the bell housing, I found the refference sensor set screw. Does anyone know how close the set screw is to the OT mark on the flywheel? its an early car, 1984 944 NA
Thanks
Jason
Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The early 944 tdc mark is really, really tough to see. Flashlight is a must and it is a somewhat subtle slash amongst the rust color. Turn just a little bit and it moves out of the window.

I have long arms and turn the crank while holding a flashlight and looking into the window....it still is a little tough at times. A second person would help.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

IIRC, there is also a mark that will appear in a window on the bottom of the bellhousing. It's usually a paint mark from the factory and much easier to see. Try looking for a notch type window on the bottom of the bellhousing. If you see it, then turn the flywheel around till you see the paint mark lining up in the window. Then check the window up to to make sure you have TDC and for final security, check the cam gear alignment.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

if you line up your cam there is a 50/50 chance you will hit the flywheel mark. good starting point at least.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
does any one know if the OT mark is before or after the set screw on the flywheel?. Thanks
it only has one set screw
Old 07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The set screw is a trigger for the S/R sensors, so the mark you are looking for is close to either side. Why don't you try what Speed suggested, take off the dist cap and cam cover plate and look at the cam gear to line it up. He's right about having a 50/50 chance of being right.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: